Alt light stays on

Any one have this problem. My 2000 Ford Focus Station Wagon has its altentor light stays on while the car i s running. It does not over charger or do any
damage to the batter. Everything checks out but we cannot get the light to go out. Has been like it for about 8 months. An one have a similar problem.