alternator install ?'s

I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. Wondering how difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like my husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup? We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's similar to the truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a new belt (?). I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me bring them salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take it to a shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive. I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+) Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
paulmbedard

similar procedure, just a much tighter area to work in. I haven't done this on my focus yet but from what I remember looking at mine just incase I would ever have to change mine, it doesn't look to difficult, just a pain in the butt.

Reply to
The Saltman

I'm not an expert either, but with small hands how can you go wrong? It's just plug and play. Like Microsoft only designed by intelligent people. LOL If you screw up, just recharge your battery and drive to a garage. I know what you mean by poor. I was once but now I am retired, I am REALLY poor. VBG Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

I had mine done last summer and I watched a seasoned mechanic take 4 hours to the job. The book called for 2 hours labor. He had to undo a motor mount then raise and lower the car about a half dozen times to lift and lower the motor on the passenger side. He did say that anything that could go wrong went wrong. He had to deal with some corrosion on some of the connections. I wish you the best of luck but it sure looked like something I would avoid.

Reply to
EOO

IT'S REALLY NOT A BIG JOB. Undo a plug, a few bolts, That's it. Come on now guys. Don't make it seem like a major job. Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

welll...no engine light on, no noise from motor area...we decided to wait and see if this mechanic is like a lot of them...:+)

Reply to
paulmbedard

"" wrote: > I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. > Wondering how > difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like > my > husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup? > We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's > similar to the > truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a > new belt > (?). > I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me > bring them > salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take > it to a > shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive. > I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+) > Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie > snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

I just installed a new alternator in my girl friends car.. The job takes a little bit.. But you have to remove the antifreeze tank, power steering reservior, a small ground. The alternator must be in a certain position to take it out.. but I can be done... Took me about 4 hours... I wish you luck...

Reply to
ave_37