auto wipers

Hello,
My new Focus has automatic wipers which work rather nicely.
How do they work? I know there are sensors in the windscreen, but where, and what do they 'sense' ??
Thanks
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:54:20 -0000, "dido22" wrote:

Look in the mirror-area, only outside - about 4/5ths up on the middle of the windscreen. It should stand out from the rest.
Thanks for your help, but do you know how it works, what is the sensor 'sensing' ?

I would assume changes in the resistivity across 2 or more contacts caused by moisture...

Intriguing question and a not-expected answer:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wiper4.htm
-Nick

Coo - certainly not the answer I was expecting ;)