Bad Starts and Oil Change

I was curious if anyone has had trouble with their Focus starting during cold weather? I have a 2004 Ford Focus ZTS, I live in Wyoming, and it seems that as
soon as the temperature drops in the mid 20s or so, the car spits and sputters a bit and sometimes dies when I first crank it up in the morning. I am planning on buying an engine block heater and installing it, and hoping this will take care of the problem.
Does anyone have any suggestions on other things to do? Heet in the fuel?
Also, does Ford recommend changing the engine oil, which is synthetic, at every 3000 or 5000 miles? Will any damage be done to the engine if it is left to 5000 miles? I do normal driving, not a lot of city driving.
-------- TracyAdamP
"No you can't play with it, you won't enjoy it on as many levels as I do... Mm-hai bw-ha whoa-hoa. The colors children. Mwa-ha-lee." - Professor John Frink

This is definitely not up to spec. My 2000 Focus has always started fine through four Eastern Ontario winters. I would suspect a fuel problem. Have you tried injector cleaner or a new filter?

You are still under warrantee, so need to follow the recommendations in your owner's manual to keep your coverage.

Not synthetic (part synthetic) and not every 5000 miles in Europe. Why is the oil sold in the USA so shite compared to that sold in the rest of the world?
--
Alan
On 24 Sep 2004 19:17:53 GMT, Adam Tracy wrote:

On European Focus (at least those sold in Sweden) oil change is after 12500 miles (20 000 km).
--
Kjell Harnesk, Sweden

My 03 ZTW fired up first time, every time last winter here in ND--coldest it got was -35F. I bought the car in AZ and drove up here and had the local dealer install the block heater. Took them almost a week. All kinds of installation problems, but it works fine and is a very good thing for the engine. Your problems I'd guess sound like a sensor--bring it back to the dealer and let them have a go at it. DO NOT put heet in the fuel--you don't need any of that crap, just 87 unleaded (unless you are at a higher altitude), which, if you'd taken the time to read the owner's manual on your investment, you'd already know. Suggest a good brand name gas--from a new station that gets a lot of business.
By now you've read your owner's manual and have answered your own oil change interval question. Just follow it, no worries.
--
Rapid Rick
"Just drive, baby"