Best Towbar for UK Hatchback

I am looking to purchase a detachable towbar (with relevant accessories) for a UK 2002 Ford Focus 5-Door Hatchback. I am keen that no cut is required in the rear bumper, so I understand that a detachable one is preferred. Any recommendations on a suitable towbar (that will be used only for a trailer) with any fittings that may be required?

Reply to
Philip Jones

I have a Witter (non-detachable) towbar on my 2004 Focus - it does not need any cuts in the bumper. It is fitted by removing the bumper, sliding the towbar into the now-exposed ends of the chassis rails, bolting it up, and then refitting the bumper. The bar curves up from under the bumper to the plate for the towball. Should cost about £200 fitted.

Reply to
Neil McDonald

I will second Neil's comments on the Witter bar and add that this make does have the best reputation around for towbars. The only detachable one I looked at was Fords own which was very expensive at around £500 a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Andy Lee

I had a TOW sure towbar on my Focus and there was no cut required to the bumper.

It was a good sturdy bar but soon went rusty. It was the flange type not the swan neck. With a flange towbar any anti sway stabiliser will fit, with the detachable ones or swan neck you will be limited to what stabiliser you can fit.

The only downside of the flange type that I can see is that they interfere with the reversing sensors, and if you have these fitted then I would recommend the more expensive detachable type.

I opted for this because it was fairly local to me so I picked it up from the shop, and I was fairly skint at the time!

Although prices and styles vary I think they all have to be approved and tested to exceed the manufacturers towing limits.

Nixey

Reply to
nixey