"Blown" Air Conditioner on 2000 Focus

Bought the car new and has only abt 25,000 mi on it. Babied and garaged. In excellent condition. About 3 weeks ago the A/C stopped working. We thought hey, after this many years, probably needs ?recharging? or maybe a new compressor.

Wrong.

We took it to our local authorized Ford dealership and got a repair estimate: $2,250 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. You read it correctly. Turns out that "your evaporator is blown - an extremely rare problem; almost never happens".

Natch, I was livid. They explained they have to tear apart the entire dashboard assy to replace the evap., hence the large $1,800 labor cost. I gues the rest is the cost of the evap unit, coffee breaks and what not.

I?ve written a letter to Ford complaining about this since because it is such a rare failure, maybe they should help out on the repairs. That was sent just after I got the estimate. So far, no response.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can do about his, except just get rid of the car, and lick my wounds? I?ve already been through the problem with the replacement cylinder head due to warpage and, oh yeah, the lousey front brakes that throw off tons of black dust making the otherwise attractive car look like a beater (I?ve joined the class action suit on that issue).

-greg-

Reply to
Greg

Bloody hell you Americans are fond of these class action suits. Brake dust on wheels! what next sue Ford cause your car gets dirty when it rains :-)

Reply to
Andy Lee