Bought used Focus - tires reversed

I bought a used 2000 Focus ZX3 from a dealer about a week ago and two of the unidirectional tires (left front and right rear) - Goodyear Eagle RS-As were reversed.

I had the car aligned at a Goodyear Tire Outlet - Coast Tire, here in Nova Scotia and they told me that I got the two tires turned around just in time to avoid serious wear. Shouldn't a dealer know that the unidirectional tires were reversed? Should I approach the dealer?

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

As the problem was caught before any damage occurred, I would let it slide.

Rob

-----------------------------

"Rock> I bought a used 2000 Focus ZX3 from a dealer about a week ago and two of

Reply to
Specter

Just simple questions for you -- why did you need an alignment after only having the car a week?

Did putting the tires on the right direction have a different feel to them from when you test drove the car? Ie. pulling to the left or right while braking or accelerating or a weird sense when cornering?

BTW, I would take the bill back to the dealer ASAP and get him to pay for it, even used cars have a dealer warranty (90 days???).

Reply to
Roarmeister

Tirerack.com did a test on unidirectional tires mounted in the wrong direction recently.. I got the results of the test in their e-newsletter. Much to my surprise the test results showed that the performance differences experienced in running a unidirectional tire backwards may be a bit over blown... You can sign up for their newsletter at

Steve

Reply to
S Thompson

This problem (unidirectional tires mounted in the wrong direction) came up on "Car Talk with Click and Clack" recently. Their opinion was that running such a tire backward didn't cause more damage than running it forward. You wouldn't get optimal wet traction, but the tire shouldn't have a blowout or anything of that nature.

Reply to
Benjamin Robinson

Hi Benjamin.

I was paraphrasing the original poster's characterization of the situation. I share the view that running unidirectional tires backwards will cause no harm. I also believe that, so long after the fact, it would be unfruitful to complain to the dealer.

In any event the crisis seems to have passed.

Cheers,

Rob

"Benjam>

Reply to