Brake Drum Removal

Hi.

I want to check the brake shoes of a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3. Is there any special removal instructions for the drum following the removal of the wheel? Will the drum just slide of or is there an internal release required? Is there an effective way of "encouraging" the drum off of the shoes if is does not come off easily?

Thanks.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

I've never done a brake job on a focus but I have done many over the years.

  1. Make sure your E-brake is off;
  2. Grasp the drum @ 3 and 9 O'Clock and wiggle it to and fro;
  3. Try to pull it straight toward you as you do so;
  4. Whack it in several places with a hammer (the hammer should hit a wood block applied to the drum);
  5. If the damn thing still won't come off, get on the other side of the wheel assembly and loosen (back off) the brake adjuster. This will pull the brake shoes off the drum and you'll be in business.
  • I'd be surprised if a 2000 Focus has really sticky drums unless you do a lot of wet mud stuff. Good luck. jor
Reply to
jor

If you going to do it this way it will take a while :-) or try this.... You remove the "grease cap" (I know, it is a b*tch) Remove the 30mm nut behind the cap and then continue as below

Put a little grease on the spindle when you reinstall it.

Johan

Reply to
Johan Berkhoff

------------------------------------------------ Fit a new nut on reassembly.They are not expensive. The "cage" can break causing the assy to fall apart. Mike.H

Mike.H

Hi

I always remove the 4 bolts holding the hub to the hub carrier. The hub and drum can then be removed as an assembly. This has the advantages that:

  • The wheel bearings remain clean and undisturbed
  • There is much more room to access the brake shoes and mechanism
  • The cage nut does not have to be replaced
  • The drum does not foul the shoes so it all comes off easily

One of the four bolts is slightly tricky to remove but on balance I find it is the best way. It is also the Haynes manual way.....

HTH

Chris.

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I like Chris's idea. I've never done it this way but it sounds clean and sure. jor

Reply to
jor

These are all really great tips and just what I was looking for.

Thanks, I think I'm ready to tackle this job.

Reply to
Matthew

As Chris said, the method listed in the service manuals that I have seen is to jack up the car, take off the wheel/tire and remove the 4 bolts from the backing plate area (behind) that are holding on the spindle/drum assy. Then pull off the assy. You will now have easy access to the brake parts.

The bearing nut method may work too but is alot of torque I believe. You may need a new nut too or it is only usable a few times.

I have not looked at mine yet as the fronts are still great, so I can't comment on how it is to do. One thing that won't work for sure is to pull the drum off without using one of the methods I mention above to get it off.

Gary

Reply to
Gary