Broken ignition

The key won't turn in the ignition of my 2002 ZX5. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow who says that it is an uncommon issue. I see a lot of postings here regarding this "uncommon" issue.
Who has had a similar problem?

This is common on 2000 and 2001 North American Focuses, but rare after that. Perhaps it is your model year that the dealer is referring to.
My dealer said the exact same thing: "never seen this problem before". The tow truck driver told me he had, personally, hauled a dozen or more Foci to that dealer for the very same problem. Car dealers aren't known for their integrity, and, perhaps, this helps to illustrate why.
Rob
-----------------------------------
"rufus20" wrote ...

First of all, a correction: it's a 2003 ZX5. I Googled "Ford Focus ignition" and found, literally, dozens of sites with postings from angry owners. I found some that are on their third ignition. Interestingly, many people report having tow operators say the same thing about towing many Foci with broken ingnitions. I wonder which dealer in the country HAS seen this problem before? In my research, Ford has never acknowledged the problem or issued a Technical Service Bulletin regarding it (however, I did find TSBs covering my broken windshield wipers and horn). I'm considering taking this up with the consumer unit of the local television station to see how many cases of this obvious defect it stirs up. I'll keep the group posted.

the
I have seen another 2003 ZX5 posted on the group a few months back with a key the wouldn't turn. She was a realestate agent and she was stoping and starting her ignition a lot. I have a 2003 ZX5 as well, and I realize that it is just a matter of time. Using Lock Lubricant can put off the inevitable, but it will only delay it.

Actually, from what I've read, the tumblers are made of an inferior alloy and they just wear out. Ford has not redesigned the part, so it will continue to happen.

Foci
their
rufus20 wrote:

To be precise, its the pins, they are made of brass. When I had my first ignition lock replaced the mechanic showed me the warn pins that came out of the lock.
To avoid having to tow the car, insert the key in ignition lock, strike the end of the key a couple of times, this should set the pins to allow the key to turn.

--
John in the sand box of Marylands eastern shore.

"Fouled Focus Ignition Locks" By Richard McCuistian, Contributing Editor, http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/472002/38913/article.pdf I am having the same problem with my Mom's 2000 Ford Focus. Another group, alt.locksmiths, suggested smacking key into ignition to make it turn -the key went in all the way but still not turning. That group also has many posts about this ignition problem. ~StevenJ rufus20 wrote: