Bulb advice (UK)

I have a 2005 Focus and the bulbs are specified as follows:

Headlights: dipped/main = 50/55W H4L halogen

Fog light: 55W H1 halogen.

is there any (safe) way of improving the light output of these?

Thanks in advance

P J Macguire

Reply to
Syke

H4 bulbs are available in higher ratings. 80/100 watt ones can be used with the standard wiring, but note that their use is against European regulations. They are sold for "off-road" use only. I understand they are quite effective :-)

There would be no point in uprating the fog light bulbs as these can only be used in fog or falling snow; the whole point of them is to prevent you from dazzling yourself.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

If the wiring / bulb holders / headlamp reflectors is as mean as on the orginal Focus, where I had problems with the connectors getting hot and melting, then I would strongly recommend that you dont use a higher wattage bulb.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Hi Tim!

I used 80/100 watt H4's in my '99 Focus from almost new up until a couple of months ago. I worked shifts, which meant that many of my 28 mile commutes were in darkness. It was also on country roads, which is why I felt the need for better lights.

When I originally fitted the 80/100's I checked the volt drop and it was insignificant. I also monitored the temperature of the plastic bits after use and could not detect any worrying rise in temperature.

I retired a couple of years ago, so when one of the bulbs blew recently I just fitted the original 50/55's back. After seven years of using the uprated bulbs there was no visible deterioration of either connector, wiring or of the bulb holders.

When I swapped back to the lower rated bulbs the reduction in light output was very noticeable, and if for some reason I needed to do much night driving again I would fit an uprated set without hesitation.

I can only think there was a problem with your car that would have happened regardless of bulb rating used.

Usual caveats apply!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You can try Philips or Osram bulbs wich are declared 50%+ light at the same rating...

For example Osram Silverstar

or Philips Vision Plus or Philips GT 150

Stay away from noname semi xenon blue bulbs from noname manufacturer.

I recomend Philips You'll get 50% more light and you don't risk wiring/lenses as with 80/100w bulbs.

Reply to
Dreamer

I'd recommend

- good prices.

Reply to
Tony Sutton

Yes I'd certainly 2nd that, and the fact the the Osram Silver Star or Philips Vision Plus do give a very usable amount of extra light. Powerbulbs also usually send free top quality W5W sidelights which is a nice touch.

Unfortunately, the +50% only last about 4 months in my Focus before needing replacement. The Philips 30% ones last just under a year so I've settled on them as it's a pain in the butt to replace the passenger side bulb in a TDCi.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary

Although I know mine was a german built Focus, I must have had the spanish wiring loom then!!

The headlamp wires were alarmingly thin, even for 55/60w bulbs, and the clear plastic mouldings for the connector disintegrated in short order. I actually had to remove the lamps, and splice in new connectors....

My 2p... Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Petrol engined cars are the same!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Although mine is March '99 registered, it was quite an early car. Perhaps some post-launch cost cutting went on?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for taking the time everybody