Buying a focus

Hi All,

I am seriously considering buying a Focus having driven Peugeots for the last, well, donkey's years.

I am thinking of an '07 Zetec Climate, they can be picked up for around £9,500. I know not a lot about cars, having had them handed to me on a plate through various companies.

Someone has told me to avoid the Zetec engine as if anything goes wrong with them the entire engine has to be replaced, as it is a sealed unit. Surely this must be wrong?

I would also appreciate any advice on buying a second-hand Focus, best model types, what to look for, reliability of Zetec over the 1400 LX, etc.

TIA,

Neil.

Reply to
Springy

Not strictly true - there is, or perhaps was, a possible condition on them whereby a Bit was actually machined in situ in such a way that it could not be accessed if it failed, but it has been so long so I heard about it I cant recall what it actually was ;)

In general I find the Zetec engines to be fairly robust and reliable, and pretty easy to fix if they do go wrong.

Reply to
Richard Parkin

In message , Richard Parkin writes

Its the ladder frame bearing cap which can't be reassembled if disturbed and only on the 1.4 and 1.6 zetec SE engines.

Yep.

Reply to
Paul Giverin