buying an old focus auto or not.

Need to replace our ageing motor, but need to keep the price low on the next purchase.

We thought we would go for a 2001 or 2002, three door, 1.6 focus.

We like the idea of an automatic gearbox, but don't know if the auto boxes on this car are good to drive or last well. Any advice on what to buy at about this age gratefully received. Thanks.

Reply to
john westmore_______

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:52:27 +0100, "john westmore_______" wrote Re buying an old focus auto or not.:

IMO the automatic is heavier, more costly, more complex, more prone to problems and less fuel efficient than the 5-speed manual. I would only consider the automatic if I had to do 90% or more of my driving in heavy city traffic.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

They were abit of a nightmare, but after 02 they are fine, and any problem will have been sorted.

Ensure a decent test drive and pertinent questions such as "when was the fluid last changed?"

Don't expect great mpg though..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Whilst the Focus is the car I'd more than likely buy, I'd avoid the auto one like the plague. Ford are crap at small autos.

I love automatics, both the cars in my sig are autos, but the Focus auto isn't a good idea.

Reply to
Pete M

john westmore_______ wrote: A few objective observations from a 1.6 Zetec 2001 auto user, had car from new.

  1. There were initial problems with the auto box on the then new Focus, but mine is a 2001, produced after they resolved the issues, and I have had zero problems with the auto.

  1. The auto box is sealed - with no requirement or provision to change the oil - and is a Mazda unit. Comments (subjective) from other sources suggest this is a very reliable unit, and able to run to 150,000 miles. (Mine had done 86,000 with no auto unit maintenance).

  2. I get typically 30-33 miles per imperial gallon, about 37 mpg on long runs at about 75mph on the clock, but have had 40+ mpg (see previous post) on long runs recently where I don't excede 70mph on the clock.

  1. As with 1.6 manuals, it is quite highly geared, so no mean machine. But for easy comfortable driving it is very good. There is a 'overdrive off' button, which limits the normally 4 gear box to 3, which is useful on steep gradients or when preparing to overtake.

Hope that helps.

Paul R

** Posted from
**