cam belt

Hi can anyone tell me if its a big job or a very hard job ,to change the cam belts and tensinores on a focus .I have been quoted 250 to 300 by my local garage ,TIA for any replies Frank

Don't do it, he's having the trolleys off you! Do it yourself, takes about twenty minutes, plus the price of the belt.

I'd like to see the job done properly in 20 mins then! LOL
If you add about an hour and 10mins to the first 20 then you are somewhere near.
Tim..
Me wrote:

What engine do you have? What do you consider your level of mechanical ability to be? How comprehensive is your tool kit?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

petrol so we would be looking at 500? for the cam belts .I have done a bit of tinkering with cars over the years engine out jobs and such but i have never done a cam belt ,and todays cars have computers.(that scare the life out of me) I know i will have to buy some special tools but i have a good set of tools built up over the years . when i looked in the haynes manual it says to take of all sorts so i know it will take a bit more than 20 mins . its just that people keep saying its a big job and you cant do it yourself. Should i use ford parts or are the ones on Ebay ok .
TIA Frank
Me wrote:

On something as critical to the integrity of the engine I would only ever use original parts.
Don't be scared of the computer = it will never know you've changed the cambelt:-)
Allow yourself a good half-day, double check you have all you need before you start and you will be fine.
Post back to let us know how you got on.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:

How many miles/kilometers on the 1.8 diesel and the 1.6 ?
Just curious what the life is on the cam belts....
Thanks.