Cam Belt When to Change

I've got a Ford Focus(1999) 1.6 Zetec that's just past the 50k mile mark and is about to be serviced. Can anyone advise whether now is a good time to get the Cam belt changed, or should I wait another year or two?

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
Chris H

IIRC the recommended interval on my 2000 2.0 Zetec is 90k miles. And since it is a non-interference engine, belt breakage will not result in bent valves, again, IIRC.

So *if* the 1.6 is similar to the 2.0, I'd let it go a while longer. But you really need to look in the owner's manual for the recommended replacement interval and follow Ford's advice rather than what you read on usenet.

I would make sure that the water pump gets changed, and perhaps the tensioner spring (if replaceable, otherwise replace the entire tensioner assembly) as well, on the theory that it's relatively easy and cheap to do once the timing belt is exposed.

Reply to
Mark Olson

In message , Chris H writes

Its 100k miles on the 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0. Change it at 80k if you are feeling nervous.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Judging from the following post on the UK FFOC board, the 1.8 is an interference design:

Aparently the 2.0L Zetec in the USA is not an interference design, but the one in the UK (+ presumably Europe) is:

The 1.6 is significantly different to the 1.8 and 2.0 (which are similar to each other, at least in the UK). However, it would seem from the FFOC message boards that the 1.6 is also an interference design.

The cambelt tenssioner bearing on my gf's 2001 Fiesta was on the way out at 12,000 miles (luckily she heard it before it fell apart), so I'd definitely recommend replacing it with the cambelt

Cheers,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

*Only* the 2litre SPI engine in the US is non interference. *All* of the other i.e. 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2 litre units in the Foci are interference.

Having said that the change interval is 100k on the 2 smaller engines, and

80k on the two larger ones. Non have a reputation for breaking the belt prematurely though, but I still wouldnt leave it longer than recommeneded.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

In message , "Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and lost alot of stuff :(" writes

The interval is 100k for all of them.

Paul Giverin

My 2000 Ford Workshop Manual, part number FCS-12949-00-1, dated 11/1999, says on page 303-01D-6 (regarding the Focus 2.0l Zetec-E engine):

"The timing belt must be installed new after 150,000 km (90,000 miles) or after 10 years."

A more careful reading of pages 303-01D-27 through -45, dealing with replacing camshafts, cam oil seals, and timing belt, did not reveal an explicit declaration that the 2.0l Zetec-E is an inteference engine or not, but the procedures are consistent with it being an interference design.

As to whether the SPI engine is an interference design, the Gates website says both the DOHC Zetec and the SOHC SPI are *both* interference designs. Gates have been known to get it wrong before, so I would take their recommendations with a good sized grain of salt.

Reply to
Mark Olson

FYI The belt, or chain on other engines, if it brakes can wrap on to the crank sprocket. And wedging against another part, brake the crankshaft's end off. A friend's Subaru did this. The cost for repairs caused him to total the car.

Even if the eng> >

Reply to
mcyben

Reply to
Stewart Devereux

In message , Stewart Devereux writes

If you look at the link I gave elsewhere in the thread, it says 100k also.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll save my money, and wait another 2 or 3 years before I change it, probably at the 80k+ mile service.

Thanks,

Chris...

Reply to
Chris H

Here is what Ford USA's website recommends for my 2001 Focus 2.0 Zetec. 120 thousand miles is the first recommended change interal:

Maintenance Schedules

Your Maintenance Schedules show your vehicle's recommended service maintenance. Keep your mileage up-to-date to receive the most relevant recommended service schedules.

Click here to update your Current Mileage or Driving Conditions information.

Present Service: 115,000 Miles

Change engine oil and filter Perform multi-point inspection Rotate tires for optimal tire life Next Service: 120,000 Miles

Reply to
Gary Compton