Camshaft drive belt.

My 2000 1.8Zetec has now done 43,000 miles and I am starting to think about whether or not its time to change the Camshaft drive belt.Has anyone out any information as to when it's advisible? Also,is it a dealer job or can it be D.I.Y? Thanks. Tony Anderson.

Reply to
Tony Anderson

In message , Tony Anderson writes

Its way too early to change it. The recommended interval is 100k miles. If you are the cautious type (and I am) then have it done at around 80k miles which still gives you a good margin for error.

Have a look here for some idea on pricing:-

This is a dealer in my area but it gives you a ball park figure.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul, My focus 1.8 has done 104k. It was a fleet car and the service history book is stamped up to 80k but other than the stamp there is no information on what the service entailed. Is there any way I can tell by looking at the cam belt if it has been replaced or not ?

Regards, Barry Ashfield

Reply to
york-y-man

In message , york-y-man writes

You could ask your local Ford dealer to feed your VIN or reg no into their computer to see if it has been recorded but if the stamps (and presumably the main dealer servicing) only go up to 80k then your only hope is that it was changed before 80k. If you can't establish if it has been done then you really need to have it changed for your own piece of mind.

Reply to
Paul Giverin