Camshaft drive belt.

My 2000 1.8Zetec has now done 43,000 miles and I am starting to think about whether or not its time to change the Camshaft drive belt.Has anyone out any
information as to when it's advisible? Also,is it a dealer job or can it be D.I.Y? Thanks. Tony Anderson.

If you are the cautious type (and I am) then have it done at around 80k miles which still gives you a good margin for error.
Have a look here for some idea on pricing:-
http://www.busseys.co.uk/maintenance/cambelts.html
This is a dealer in my area but it gives you a ball park figure.
--
Paul Giverin

My focus 1.8 has done 104k. It was a fleet car and the service history book is stamped up to 80k but other than the stamp there is no information on what the service entailed. Is there any way I can tell by looking at the cam belt if it has been replaced or not ?
Regards, Barry Ashfield

their computer to see if it has been recorded but if the stamps (and presumably the main dealer servicing) only go up to 80k then your only hope is that it was changed before 80k. If you can't establish if it has been done then you really need to have it changed for your own piece of mind.
--
Paul Giverin