car shut off

Hello all, yesterday I was driving my 2005 Ford Focus ZX-5. All of a sudden it shut off. The fuel level was low, but I've seen it lower. But I put gas in it anyway. I went to start the car and it was as if
the starter wasn't even installed. The key just turned. No noise at all.
The battery? That's what I thought but my radio turns on fine. The car seems normal despite the started not making any noise. I had a jump start, but that didn't change anything starter wise. If the starter goes could it just shut the car off?
Also, when I turn the car on (just the power not the engine) I see the digital odometer with just dashes. No numbers or blank like when it first starts up. Just "- - - -". Any ideas?
chad wrote:

Do the lights work? I think it may be that you loose connections that provide enough power for the radio, but not enough for the starter or the electronics to run the computer. I would check the connections.

The lights work. Everything works except for the digital readout which is just minuses. And the car doesn't start, or crank, or make any noise at all when I turn the key. I was told last year that based on the voltages coming out from my starter that it was going to go soon. If the starter dies while the car is on does that turn it off???
I had a similar problem with my Ford Focus Sedan 2002. I read my Owners Manual and it told me to hit the re-set button on the front right passenger wheel well.
Well LA! Started right up!
---

So far it looks as if the electronic control unit malfunctioned. The fuses look good. The fuel pump switch wasn't the problem either. The ground cables on the battery are fine. I find out for sure tomorrow from my mechanic.
In message

Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes may/will reboot the electronics. The car may run rougher than normal for a few miles afterwards as it re-learns the system.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk