cause of pollen filter water leaks?

We don't have pollen filters in Canadian Foci, but I got curious as to how they could be causing trouble on British models. My official Ford factory Focus manual (purchased in 2000) has a section on it.

On page 412-01-04 there are two interesting notes:

"A grill with rubber edging is inserted between the wiper motor and the filter housing. This must be cleaned of dirt every time the filter is changed."

and probably more important

"NOTE: Ensure that the air cowl grille basket for the windscreen is seated correctly. Clean the gasket if necessary".

The word "NOTE" was in caps as well as bold. In service manuals, this is a signal to the mechanic of a potential trouble spot. So my guess is that the leak is likely to occur when this is not followed.

Reply to
Dave Gower

"Dave Gower" wrote

Sorry I mistyped. Should have been:

windscreen is seated

Reply to
Dave Gower

In message , Dave Gower writes

Yes but how many of them are reading the manual. Most simple jobs like that are taught by example. Once someone has shown you how to do it, there's no need to consult the manual.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Paul Giverin wrote

Changing a filter may the type of job routinely given to the trainee without any need for supervision.

Reply to
Alan

Most mechanics only use their manual for reference in more complex matters. Filterchange, and therefore the gasket thingy as well, is not considered as something complex.

This is a typical example of somewhat quirky engineering bij Ford's designers. Not a real flaw, but not too bright either.

Reply to
Zweef®

Also not too bright when your 18 month old, Focus with leather and cruise is runined and stinks so bad you end up trading it in (not to Ford) after they are so dismissive of the problem.

In the UK dealers don't give a **** unless you are a fleet buyer.

Reply to
MrTwei

How come? It must have been soaked for weeks then! Did they not repair it and dry the car? Because that is what my dealer told me he had the guilty mechanic do himself after they had f****d up ;-)

That's a sad thing. I have a very good dealer nearby, overhere (The Netherlands) you best go to a small countryside dealer, they have to do good work to keep their customers. The ones in the city usually don't care much either, they make their money too easy.

Reply to
Zweef®

Don't your countries have any "lemon laws" - where the auto dealers would have to fix the car or replace it ??? Or any kind of mediation service between you and the auto companies??? Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Hi in the EU, every dealer has to support you for no cost for a period of two years when he sells you new things. For second hand, he could limit the period to one year. Therefore I can not understand the problems with dealers in the UK.

bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

What I mean by a lemon law is that the automaker (Ford) must make things right within 3 (I think) visits and the first year or 12,000 miles or buy the car back (with a MAJOR fault). That tends to be the sticking point. They string you along... Linda

Reply to
HbgpodLW

Hi I can only speak for Germany, but it must be the same way in other EU-Countries. You bring in your car or whatsoever and the dealer can repair or change it or gives you your money back. If he repairs it, he has two to three trys, depending on the problem he is working on. After that, you can decide to have the defective item with some money back or just give it back to the dealer getting your money back. He can bill you for some wearing on the item depending on how long you used it before the repairs. That´s for a period of two years with no limit for kilometers. For used cars or other items, the period can be limited to one year. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs