Central locking operates by Itself while driving

Hi. I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus. While driving, the door locks operate by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. Apart from this,
the locking system operates fine. I'm worried that if the deadlock operates I won't be able to get out!
Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks.
Steve
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:29:53 +0100, "Steve"
:>Hi. I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus. While driving, the door locks operate :>by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. Apart from this, :>the locking system operates fine. I'm worried that if the deadlock operates :>I won't be able to get out!:> :>Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks.:> :>Steve :>
On the US Focus it is normal for the doors to lock at approximately 5mph. You can still open the doors from inside with the handle as usual. I don't know if this is normal worldwide or not so hopefully someone with the same car as yours can verify this.
me/2
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:18:06 -0700, me/2 wrote:

It's not implemented on UK vehicles.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 08:03:17 GMT, Chris Whelan
:>On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:18:06 -0700, me/2 wrote::>
:>> wrote: :>> :>> :>Hi. I have a 2001 1.6 Zetec Focus. While driving, the door locks :>> operate :>by themeslves (clunking sound of locks opening/closing).. :>> Apart from this, :>the locking system operates fine. I'm worried that :>> if the deadlock operates :>I won't be able to get out! :>> :> :>> :>Can anyone suggest how to fix this? Thanks. :> :>> :>Steve :>> :> :>> :>> On the US Focus it is normal for the doors to lock at approximately :>> 5mph. You can still open the doors from inside with the handle as usual. :>> I don't know if this is normal worldwide or not so hopefully someone :>> with the same car as yours can verify this. :>> :>> me/2:> :>It's not implemented on UK vehicles.:> :>Chris
Thanks for the info. I guess we have a much worse carjacker problem here as that's the only reason I can think of for that "feature". :-)
me/2
Steve wrote:

This is caused by the crappy little plastic parts in the door lock mechanism falling to bits. I've had to change both front door lock mechanisms in my 2000 2.0L zetec now due to the same fault you have described. I was putting off changing the second one until the doors locked themselves whilst the key was in the ignition, with the engine running and I was outside of the car, in the rain. Take heed! Always keep a set of car keys in your hand until you fix it.
HTH

whole lock mechanism? If not, which part?. Also any comments on costs, and is this a DIY job?
Steve
Steve wrote:

It is a DIY job as I did both of mine myself. Full details of how to do it are in the Haynes manual. The part is the door lock/latch assembly. Costs about 60 - 70 from ford parts. Make sure you tell them if you have deadlocks or not when you go to get the parts. Also, ask the guy behind the counter for a discount and he might nock off the VAT. The Ford garage by us will.