Changing Rear Wheel Bearings?

Hello!
I have a 2003 Focus, one of whose rear wheel bearings needs repair.
For a while, we had trouble figuring out how to remove the wheel drum at all (until a search on the internet, of course), but have seen
advice to not remove the center nut.
Is there a way to get at the bearings without breaking off that nut and replacing it? Or advice about replacing/fixing rear wheel bearings on the focus in general?
(My question is probably ill formed, due to lack of knowledge about the cars, but I'm passing whatever information I get onto my father, who'll understand it)
Thanks! Denise
HI Denise,
as always, I would suggest getting the manual for your car. You have to remove the wheel nut with socket and rachet in order to remove the rear drums. Luckily you dont have a disc on the back so you can actually change the wheel bearings yourself (or get your dad to do it). You will need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the wheel bearing retaining clip. LMK if you need anything else.
AF snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. I am Denise's father. That clip you are talking about , is that what locks the retaining nut inplace. Thank you for your help Bill ArcadeForever wrote:

Hi Bill,
Actually no, there will be a cotter pin locking the nut on. Remove the cotter pin by cutting it out (Get a new one from your local Autozone, Ford dealer or where ever) as you shouldnt reuse the old pin.. use your socket to undo the nut then remove it and probably a washer and put them aside (maybe in a hubcap so they dont get lost!). At this point you will be ready to pull the drum off. If it doesnt come off get a hammer and hit the top, right, left and bottom, not really hard, but what happens sometimes is that the brakes will lock to the drum and hitting the drum with a hammer will release the shoes. then you should be able to pull the drum off, when you do, put it lug side down on a rag so you dont damage the lugs. Next step get the bearing out... put your circlip out with your circlip pliers... At this point you will be ready to pull your old bearing out... looking further at the manual, it seems that it will need to be pressed out... Depending how much aggrivation you would like to go through you may want to consider bringing it to a mechanic to press out.. I did the ones in my disc and it took me all day.... email me back directly as I only get alerts from this group once a day...