Clonking from front end, suspension??

Hi All,
My 2001 focus estate has started to "clonk" from the front somewhere, especially at low speeds, it is intermittent and doesn't seem to
correspond with road bumps or steering action. I have been round all the steering / suspension joints and bushes with a pry bar and everything seems solid, the springs look ok too.
The only things I can think of that are not easy to check are the shocks inside the struts?
or maybe an engine mounting?

Most likely to be the anti-roll bar link rods.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk
Its very likely the sway bar links. You can get aftermarket ones with grease nipples and really heavy duty with a life time warranty made by MOOG. And they only cost about $17 each if you are in Canada.
Hi All,
My 2001 focus estate has started to "clonk" from the front somewhere, especially at low speeds, it is intermittent and doesn't seem to correspond with road bumps or steering action. I have been round all the steering / suspension joints and bushes with a pry bar and everything seems solid, the springs look ok too.
The only things I can think of that are not easy to check are the shocks inside the struts?
or maybe an engine mounting?
FORD has a service bullitin for your issue.
CAUSE: FRONT SPRINGS
FREE REPAIR 10 YEARS 150,000 MILES

Drop link rods replaced between strut and anti roll bar both sides, Still making the same noises.
Does anyone have any more details on the Ford Bullitin and if it applies in the UK?
TIA.
kevin wrote:

George H wrote:

I believe the problem with front springs breaking was confined to the US.
There was a problem with early European cars that caused a clonk when turning at low speeds. The cause was too much free play between the upper front spring seat and the spring. The cure was to fit a rubber isolator between the spring and seat. This is covered by Technical Service Bulletin 52/1999.
However, vehicles produced after 14/02/99 had the isolator fitted in production, and all vehicles from 20/04/99 had the spring seat modified. A 2001 car should not have this problem.
As you specifically said it doesn't correspond with steering action, this probably isn't your problem, but I though it was worth mentioning.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Chris Whelan wrote:
Cheers Chris,
It's looking likely that it is the front anti roll bar bushes, they seem a right pig to change as it involves dropping off the crossmember that carries the steering rack and gearbox mounting. Might have to surrender it to the stealer and take it in.

2002 focus 4 door se both front springs broke, Canada. Same problem as in US but not covered by recall here.

My 2002 had the same problem. I found that the NUT on the strut shaft was loose on both the left and right sides. I have an impact wrench so I just hit them both once and all is better now.
Robert Wynkoop
George H wrote:

Booked into the stealer who went round all suspension components, front and rear, nothing found to be worn or loose, noise still there and they haven't got a clue what is causing it, the stealer thinks that replacing suspension parts until it stops is the only way to find it but that is an expensive option!
maybe it's not suspension related at all perhaps a driveshaft has too much free lateral movement or something?