Coil spring warranty extension

Just got a notice last week from Ford Motor Co saying they had extended the warranty on their 2000-2003 model Focuses for the coil springs (up to 10 years or 150k miles). Apparently the corrosion protection was inadequately applied on many vehicles causing the spring to actually fracture (normally a very rare occurrence).

This only caught my eye because just last month I had to shell out over $300 to have one of the springs on my 2001 Focus replaced because it had fractured. I called the dealer and they said it wouldn't be a problem to get a refund (just bring the receipt). Phew!

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Ronnie

Just curious. How was it determined that they were fractured? I got the recall notice as well.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

When the hood of the car is 4 inches closer to the ground than normal, you know something's up... err, or down, as the case may be.

Reply to
Mark Olson

I just had the coil spring break on my 2000 Focus. Ford Customer Service will cover the repair, as Mark mentioned, but they did have some terms:

1) They only reimburse for an "independent" repair if it was an emergency or if the nearest Ford dealer was closed at the time; i.e., on a Sunday.

2) 10 Years, 150k Miles.

Cheers :)

Reply to
Lew