Cold engine whine - front end groan 2000 LX

Has anyone else had these complaints about their 2000 focus? If so did they turn into anything serious in the higher miles?
I have a 2000 Focus LX. I purchased it used a week ago with 15000 mi
on it.
Only complaints so far is a whine from lower engine area when cold, It sounds like it's coming from the AC compressor. Almost goes away completely when warmed up. Didn't really notice it until it got cold out here. Chicago, IL USA area - brrrrrrr - heat works great though.
Also a slight groan from the front end when rolling to a stop. Same noise I've heard coming from my 93 caravan during hard stops after putting in new pads without re-surfacing the rotors. Both sounds insignifigent when stereo is at normal level. (nice and loud - not bad for orig, equip, sound sys.)
Otherwise love it. Little engine - little 0-60 time :-]
Should I get these things at least looked at before the 3 month warranty runs out? I'm thinking yes.
John Doe
I may have answered my own ? in reading these from a long time ago:
Message 2 in threadFrom: shay ( snipped-for-privacy@tinet.ie) Subject: Re: FAULTS ON THE FORD FOCUS View this article onlyNewsgroups: alt.cars.Ford-Probe Date: 1999/11/19
. . . I am sure you all ready have a high pitch noise from the engine first thing in the morning this is due to a pulley belt which I was informed will be fixed, They are doing a mod on all focus with this problem my car should be back in this week for work to be done . . .
AND: