colored headlights

I posted a question about 6 or 7 months ago regarding colored headlights. No, not the blue/white ones. I am looking for purple headlights. Someone posted a link to a supply house that had them and other colors.

Anyone know where to get these??

Reply to
David Coleman

Just do a search on google for "purple headlights" there are 36,900 choices.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Adding "blingbling" might narrow it down!

Nah, guess not.....

Reply to
Zweef®

Colored headlight (including yellow) I believe are illegal in most of North America. White light is all that is allowed. Even the blue light headlights are pushing it.

Colored headlamps are OK for vehicles that are only displayed in car shows etc.

Adding "blingbling" might narrow it down!

Nah, guess not.....

Reply to
Gino

Laws... PFFFFFTT!!!

I see lots of cars with purple headlights... usually high-end Japanese or European models, which have such lights as standard equipment. How is any traffic cop going to know whether your Focus has such lights as a factory installed option, or not? (BTW, HID lights are an available option on some models of the Focus sold in the EU). This is just like window tinting; most jurisdictions have laws about how dark your car's window tinting can be, but who's going to bother enforcing that? Around here, the answer is nobody.

I use Sylvania Silver Stars in my Focus. They don't make much difference, and I don't think anyone really notices them. Not the best thirty bucks I've ever spent :O

Rob

-----------------------

"G> Colored headlight (including yellow) I believe are illegal in most of > North

Reply to
Basic Wedge

In message , Basic Wedge wrote

Until you have, or cause, an accident and the Police get involved. They then may check for anything non-standard or illegally fitted to the car. Some non-standard fittings may also invalidate your insurance.

I was following an old car recently in the UK driven by a 'boy racer' that had a very bright flashing blue light emitting diode (LED) array fitted to the roof of the car. I often wonder why anyone draws so much attention to themselves as in this case it will not be long before the Police pull over the driver for this and then proceed to check the tax, insurance, MOT, lights, tyre condition - and anything else they could find to be wrong with the car.

Reply to
Alan

"I posted a question about 6 or 7 months ago regarding colored headlights. No, not the blue/white ones. I am looking for purple headlights. Someone posted a link to a supply house that had them and other colors."

From his post one gets the impression that he is NOT talking about HID or Silverstars or cool white, he is talking about COLORED headlamps i.e purple, green , red. Maybe he does not know what he is talking about. There are COLORED headlamp bulbs available that are put in show cars for auto shows. These are illegal for street use. Just like it is illegal to have a colored ring of lights around the back licence plate. The cops never nail you for tinted windows or other vehicle equipment infractions until they pull you over on a traffic infraction and like to make their ticket quote for the month in one sweep.

[...]

Mine certainly have a purple halo around the edge of the beam this is very apparent when you see the reflection from road signs etc. These are the factory fit Xenon option the best option I have ever had on my car putting Osram silverstars was the second.

It appears they are starting to actually pull people for tints nowadays especially in Essex

Regards

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

Why? because they are the same type of people who insist on driving around with fog lights ablaze during the day whilst blasting out some moronic sub bass so called music. Generally they are either stupid or suffering from attention deficiency syndrome.

Regards

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

Now surely you are not talking about our chav (see

if you do not know this term) friends who all seem to cover their car in double sided sticky tape and crash through halfords so all this crap sticks to the outside.

i love getting blinded by these chappys who need full beams and foglights to see on sunny days.

Reply to
adcb

Mind your language please! I would really appreciate it if you refrain yourself!

At least while i'm having coffee, it's all over the place now! There i go again, clean my monitor, rinse the keyboard, thank you very much! Bloody Brits!

;-)

Reply to
Zweef®

Andy,

A question for you. And I'm not feeling targeted by your post. I don't play "moronic sub bass" in my car nor do I have fog lights. But why do you consider driving around with fog lights on to be stupid? Usually, I turn my headlights on during the day while driving on the freeway. I guess I suffer from attention deficit, because I want to be noticed. I've read that daytime running lights reduce accidents. Isn't being noticed -- at least being very visible -- a good thing?

I'm not looking for an argument, I'd like to hear some discussion on this.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Hi Tony

Daytime running lights are certainly a requirement in some Euro countries e.g. Sweden and there is a very good case for them a northern latitudes when daylight during the winter months is never very good at best. These lights are generally of a fairly low wattage. However Fog lights are not the same thing and are not designed to be used except in the conditions which require them i.e. Fog or heavy snow. In the UK it is actually illegal to use them out side of this environment and it has been known for people to get tickets for it.

I have no problem with people wanting to be visible but running round with all these extra lights blazing during broad daylight is totally unnecessary. Being noticed for the wrong reasons can cause problems for other drives after all.

So Fog lights during the day are stupid for 2 reasons

  1. You can get a ticket for it
  2. It can really annoy other drivers contributing to road rage etc (although most of the people who drive with fog lights during the day are probably not too worried about it.)

Of couse there are people who unwittingly do this they can be seen driving home at the end of the day with front and back fog lights on which they just plain forgot to turn off from the early morning fog they encountered on the way to work.

Reply to
Andy Lee

In my experience, my fogs lights have been dimmer than headlights. When entering a campground at night, I've used the fogs instead of the headlights to reduce how much light I'm shining on people's tents.

I haven't noticed any particular glare from Foci fog lights.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Here in Germany the same. It is forbidden to use fog lights inside a town and outside if no fog with visibility less than 50m shows up. If this is the case, you can use fog lights but have to limit speed at a maximum of 50 km/h. So I find it very stupid as well to drive inside a town in a clear night or even while daylight is bright having the fog light engaged. More outreagous, many cars have no properly adjusted lights, so they blind any one else on the road. That´s a fact that I can not understand because of the TÜV where every German car has to be checked every two years- like the MOT in GB- and because ther is a light service every october at no cost in nearly every service station in Germany to the benefit of car safety.

Copy that.

That is something I also don´t understand. When I shut down my car while the lights are burning and open the drivers door, a bell rings to let me know that I have to turn out the lights. Doing so, all fog lights are shut down and if I turn on the light later, they will not automaticly turned on also, I have to decide to do so.

My car is a German Focus Turnier from 2000. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

In message , Tony Wesley wrote

You are not driving behind yourself. Rear fog lights can be the problem especially in the rain.

Reply to
Alan

:>In my experience, my fogs lights have been dimmer than headlights. :>When entering a campground at night, I've used the fogs instead :>of the headlights to reduce how much light I'm shining on :>people's tents. :>

:>I haven't noticed any particular glare from Foci fog lights.

I think what we're seeing here is a different definition in different countries as to what a "fog light" is. What I'm reading described from people in European countries sounds more like what we call "driving lights" here in the US, at least as far as the brightness is concerned. The last 3 cars I've owned (99 Escort ZX2, 02 Focus ZX5 and 04 SVT Focus) have all had factory installed "fog lights" (in the front only...grin). In every case the bulbs in the "fog lights" have been about half the wattage of the low beam headlight bulbs and the lenses create a flat-wide beam pattern that your eyeballs have to be about 12 inches above the ground before the light even appears bright. In addition the flat-wide pattern does an excellent job of lighting the edge of the road where there may be pedestrians or bike riders that you might miss with the beam from the headlights only that tend to shine more straight ahead down the road and not so much to the side.

Another thing that Ford does in the US that may or may not be different than what they do in Europe is they wire up the foglights so they can only be turned on with the low beam headlights. So the only time you can get the low flat-wide beam pattern of the foglights is when you also have your low beams on that tend to reflect back off of the fog/snow/mist/dust etc. One of the most popular mods for the US Focus with factory foglights is one that allows you to turn on the foglights with just the parking lights. Where I live in Arizona we don't have much fog but we get our fair share of dust storms and I've found the foglight/parking light combo to be much more effective than having to have the low beam headlights on with the foglights.

me/2

Reply to
me/2

I'm even more confused. If I drove behind myself, the fog lights of other Foci on the road would then bother me? Remember, I don't have fog lights in my Focus.

I'm wondering if the fog lights in European models are different from US models.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Not even rear fog light(s)?

Reply to