colored headlights

Page 2 of 2
On 12 Oct 2004 09:30:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tonywesley.com (Tony Wesley) wrote:
:>> Let us also note in Sweden their lights automatically come on upon
:>> ignition. It is not a problem to have normal lights on during the day, :>> but fog lights is excessive. The glare is just OTT. :> :>In my experience, my fogs lights have been dimmer than headlights. :>When entering a campground at night, I've used the fogs instead :>of the headlights to reduce how much light I'm shining on :>people's tents.:> :>I haven't noticed any particular glare from Foci fog lights. I think what we're seeing here is a different definition in different countries as to what a "fog light" is. What I'm reading described from people in European countries sounds more like what we call "driving lights" here in the US, at least as far as the brightness is concerned. The last 3 cars I've owned (99 Escort ZX2, 02 Focus ZX5 and 04 SVT Focus) have all had factory installed "fog lights" (in the front only...grin). In every case the bulbs in the "fog lights" have been about half the wattage of the low beam headlight bulbs and the lenses create a flat-wide beam pattern that your eyeballs have to be about 12 inches above the ground before the light even appears bright. In addition the flat-wide pattern does an excellent job of lighting the edge of the road where there may be pedestrians or bike riders that you might miss with the beam from the headlights only that tend to shine more straight ahead down the road and not so much to the side.
Another thing that Ford does in the US that may or may not be different than what they do in Europe is they wire up the foglights so they can only be turned on with the low beam headlights. So the only time you can get the low flat-wide beam pattern of the foglights is when you also have your low beams on that tend to reflect back off of the fog/snow/mist/dust etc. One of the most popular mods for the US Focus with factory foglights is one that allows you to turn on the foglights with just the parking lights. Where I live in Arizona we don't have much fog but we get our fair share of dust storms and I've found the foglight/parking light combo to be much more effective than having to have the low beam headlights on with the foglights.
me/2
Add pictures here
✖
says...

--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies
(possession and wisdom are illusions)

(The above article did not make it to my news reader. Zweef, thanks for reposting it!

That would explain it.

I've only had after-market lights, but your description matches my experience.

Exactly.

Me too. Thank you to everyone who posted on this.
Add pictures here
✖
On 14 Oct 2004 15:13:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@tonywesley.com (Tony Wesley) wrote:
:>> says...:> :>(The above article did not make it to my news reader. Zweef, thanks :>for reposting it!:> :>> > I think what we're seeing here is a different definition in different :>> > countries as to what a "fog light" is. What I'm reading described :>> > from people in European countries sounds more like what we call :>> > "driving lights" here in the US, at least as far as the brightness is :>> > concerned.:> :>That would explain it.:> :>> > The last 3 cars I've owned (99 Escort ZX2, 02 Focus ZX5 :>> > and 04 SVT Focus) have all had factory installed "fog lights" (in the :>> > front only...grin). In every case the bulbs in the "fog lights" have :>> > been about half the wattage of the low beam headlight bulbs and the :>> > lenses create a flat-wide beam pattern that your eyeballs have to be :>> > about 12 inches above the ground before the light even appears bright.:> :>I've only had after-market lights, but your description matches :>my experience.:> :>> > In addition the flat-wide pattern does an excellent job of lighting :>> > the edge of the road where there may be pedestrians or bike riders :>> > that you might miss with the beam from the headlights only that tend :>> > to shine more straight ahead down the road and not so much to the :>> > side.:> :>Exactly. :> :>> I learn something here every day! ;-):> :>Me too. Thank you to everyone who posted on this. You're welcome, especially since the "missing" stuff you quoted above was mostly mine. :-)
Hopefully this will make it to your news server.
me/2
Add pictures here
✖
Yes I imagine it wasn't a focus specifically that glared me. Rear fogs have the most glare tbh...
Tony Wesley wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Hmm ignore this, the other replies answered for me, yes mainly rear fogs are the problem.
Johnny BlazE wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
These high end Japanese and European cars you see with what you think are purple headlights. The are not. HID headlights are not purple.
The original poster to this newsgroup about this topic said:
"I posted a question about 6 or 7 months ago regarding colored headlights. No, not the blue/white ones. I am looking for purple headlights. Someone posted a link to a supply house that had them and other colors."
From his post one gets the impression that he is NOT talking about HID or Silverstars or cool white, he is talking about COLORED headlamps i.e purple, green , red. Maybe he does not know what he is talking about. There are COLORED headlamp bulbs available that are put in show cars for auto shows. These are illegal for street use. Just like it is illegal to have a colored ring of lights around the back licence plate. The cops never nail you for tinted windows or other vehicle equipment infractions until they pull you over on a traffic infraction and like to make their ticket quote for the month in one sweep.
Laws... PFFFFFTT!!!
I see lots of cars with purple headlights... usually high-end Japanese or European models, which have such lights as standard equipment. How is any traffic cop going to know whether your Focus has such lights as a factory installed option, or not? (BTW, HID lights are an available option on some models of the Focus sold in the EU). This is just like window tinting; most jurisdictions have laws about how dark your car's window tinting can be, but who's going to bother enforcing that? Around here, the answer is nobody.
I use Sylvania Silver Stars in my Focus. They don't make much difference, and I don't think anyone really notices them. Not the best thirty bucks I've ever spent :O
Rob
-----------------------
"Gino" wrote ...

Add pictures here
✖

Mine certainly have a purple halo around the edge of the beam this is very apparent when you see the reflection from road signs etc. These are the factory fit Xenon option the best option I have ever had on my car putting Osram silverstars was the second.

It appears they are starting to actually pull people for tints nowadays especially in Essex

Regards
Andy Lee
--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

Add pictures here
✖