Deadlock on Focus?

I bought a ford Focus this week, it's a year 2000 V-Reg car and has central locking (not remote). I have heard that Ford have a "Deadlock Central
Locking System", whereby the vehicle, when locked from the outside cannot be opened from the inside either by a passenger, or anyone breaking a window and trying to open the car door. I would like to know, is this a feature which can be added to my existing car? If so, how do I go about finding a garage or company who could do this for me, and approximately how much should I expect to pay for this extra feature? I hope you can help with this question as I thought the car I bought already had this feature, but apparently it does not. Thank you. Patricia.
(Used in Vauxhall Astra and Ford Focus....'it says on the net!).

Well I don't live in the U.K. but it seems to me that this is a dangerous feature which if it isn't illegal should be. Do you seriously want to trap a passenger inside your car? In fact as far as I know all cars are made so the locks can be manually over-ridden from the inside. Otherwise how could you escape in an emergency if the power was lost and the electric locks wouldn't work?
Dave Gower wrote:

Hi well, my German Focus has this feature, and it has to be activated by pressing the lock-button twice. So if You get into the car and lock it from the inside using the lock button at the door, it is no problem to unlock it and get out. But if You leave Your car alone, then You can deadlock it so no one can open a door even when he smashes a window or sticks a wire through the door sealing to pull the button on the other hands door. You should not use this deadlock feature if someone is inside the car, the manual tolds. bye Jupp
i have uk focus, i think they all have dead locking... u need to press the lock button twice & the lights will flash twice...deadlocked

dangerous
trap a

the
you
wouldn't

The guy did say he didn't have remote locking on the car.... To the OP to have this setup you would need the whole door locking mechanism changed including the GEM module that controls the whole system. Probably not a cheap job
Regards
Andy Lee
--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

You can manually double lock the doors by inserting the key, turning it and holding until the indicators flash to signify the doors ane double locked
--
Martin

My address is spam trapped...
wrote

This doesn't work on my 2001 Focus but the method of two key positions within two seconds does (as detailed in another post to the thread). There may be same variation in the methods depending on the age of the car and which electronic(s) module fitted.
To the original poster - make sure you leave a period of around 10/15 seconds between trying various methods for the memory of the key positions to be reset.
--
Alan

The original poster may already have this feature but it may not be obvious how to operate it via a key. I have a UK Focus with a remote but the dead locking can still be activated with the key in the lock.
To dead lock all doors turn the key the OPPOSITE way to the normal lock activation (you will NOT hear anything locking) and then within TWO SECONDS turn the key the other way. You will then hear the locks locking.
The dead lock can be activated from both driver and passenger side front doors.
To unlock the doors (deactivate the dead lock) just turn the key in the unlock direction in the normal way.
This mode can only be activated from outside of the car with all the doors closed. The manual does warn about not using this feature if someone is inside the car as it prevents the doors being opened from the inside.
To test, wind down the window. If the dead locks are activated the lock button on the inside of the door cannot be depressed and the internal door handle will not open the door.
If the original poster does not have a manual - child locks on the back doors can be activated/deactivated by opening the back door and using the door key to turn the rectangular shaped keyway in the exposed locking mechanism.
--
Alan

the
wouldn't
A) As others have said, the manual warns against deadlocking it with someone inside.
B) If you deadlock it from the inside, then turn the ignition on, you will find that it unlocks the doors automatically, hence you can't be deadlocked in whilst driving.
G.
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 23:27:00 -0400, "Dave Gower"

The theory is not really for locking people inside your car, i guess you could use it to stop your kids getting out of the car when you nip in to the petrol station or something like that i suppose but i dont think ford think of it to be use this way.
The aim of deadlocking is to make it hard for a theif to open the doors of your car, ie if they pot the window they still cannot open the doors, although i have found it to be a complete waste of time, i have had deadlocking on three of my last cars and all of them have been broken into and the doors unlocked, might fit my locks with booby trap shotguns, that'l stop em ;-)

Strange -- the NA cars just use the standard ignition lock out instead of using the "deadlock" "feature". Optionally the use of an alarm system to ward people away.
Hmmm, I suppose they don't call it the <deadlock> for nothing! I wouldn't use it even if it was available on NA cars. Usually if a thief is going to steal a car, it wouldn't be a basic Focus (considered to be inexpensive transportation on this side of the pond) unless he wanted to get at your stereo or contents. At that point whether your car "door" can be opened or not is immaterial to the thief.
BTW, the little punks in this neighbourhood simply drive around with eggs in their possession. Then they toss an egg at a vehicle to see if the alarm is on, if not on then they will check to see if they want the vehicle or contents. A coat hanger and 2 seconds of time and they are in....

or
vehicle
You are lucky if the thieves in your part of the world only break into more expensive vehicles. Where I come from, they will steal anything, but they seem to prefer older cars which are easier to get away with as they only want them for 'joy-riding', and then blow them up in a lay-by somewhere. BTW, why is an immobiliser so-called, if it is so easy to get a car started and driven away in less than a minute without a key? Hmm! It seems to me that this equipment has been badly named as it doesn't live up to it's name at all. How the heck does the darn thing work anyway? What does it do? I mean if it lets a thief get away with a car, it's hardly an immobiliser, is it? Maybe I'm just a dumb broad, I don't know. I will fit an alarm system asap. I can see now that the 'dead-locking' system might not be a good idea, from a safety point of view at least. Tricia.

dangerous
trap a

so the

you
wouldn't
You have to deliberately press the key button twice or give it an extra turn in the lock to double lock. If you just single lock then all doors can be opened from the inside. It does warn about this feature in the manual so RTFM. It's a great feature IMO because if you leave a window open by mistake, the car is still relatively secure. So I like the double locking feature in my car which is an early 2002 Focus 1.6LX. Regards Mike.
Hi Patricia, Looks like lots of advice regarding double locking using the key. I just had a look at the Ford Brochure from 2000 and notice that ALL models are fitted with Central Locking. The brochure goes on to say that all models EXCEPT the basic CL model have "Remote with two-stage central, double locking." So, I guess if you have any model other than the CL, you should be able to follow Alan's very clear instructions which were posted previously to double lock your doors. I would add that when the double lock is activated, the 4 way flashers/indicators do a double flash to confirm that it is double locked. It would also appear that if you have any other model other than the CL, you should be able to purchase a remote and program it to work with your central locking. The method of programming is in the manual however a warning, Ford dealers will charge you between 80 and 100 quid for a remote unit and they will also overcharge you to program it for you. One good feature of the remote, from a security point of view, is the ability to unlock only the driver's door with one click of the remote, (thereby making it impossible for someone pull open the passenger door to jump in beside you and cause problems). It also turning the internal lights on. An excellent security feature for people travelling alone. A second click within about 5 seconds of the first will unlock all 4 doors (there is a separate button for the boot/hatch). I think it is worth 80 quid for that feature but try borrowing a unit from a friendly Focus owner and try reprogramming it to your car first to make sure you have the system. I would like also to reiterate the warning given by many posters (and the Ford Manual) - DO NOT DOUBLE LOCK THE CAR WITH ANYONE INSIDE - EVER - NEVER - NOT AT ALL!! They won't be able to get out in any emergency.......................
Good luck with the deadlocking, Justin Case

central
be
this
Thanks everyone for your time and your advice. I can see now though why it is that I don't have the 'deadlocking' (double locking) feature. It's because my car is the year 2000 Focus 'CL' model, and as pointed out by Justin, it states this model has manual central locking only in the year 2000 brochure (which I'd like to buy from him btw). Thanks so much! Regards. Patricia.

cannot
window