Detonation and possible damage

Hay everbody,
I've got Focus 1.6 2002 (ZETEC), and I had recently bougth full tank of really bad fuel. It was Euro-95 as usually, but, this time I was
obviously tricked. It had much lower ocatne level than it should.
I drove for about cca. 50 km with it and than I realised that engine is producing this characteristic pinking-knocking sound. Next day I went to the car service and the fuel was removed and they told me that engine was detonating. After that I tanked Super-98 and this pinking noise was gone. Since than engine ran smoothly as before I guess. I've red that ZETEC is equipped with knock-sensors, but, since it was producing this knocking sound of detonation I'm worried about possible damages to the engine.
Does anybody knows how long it takes until detontation can cause real damage to the engine ? Is it the matter of seconds ?
Thanx in advance, Tom
Hi tomo
Not an expert, but a motorist of 40+ years. Experience tells me that :- 1 An engine will not "self-destruct" within seconds of the onset of pinking. 2 Really hammering a pinking engine over time will result in the piston crowns becoming cratered and eventually perforated. 3 If pinking does occur, go light footed on the "loud pedal" to avoid pinking. If there is space in the petrol tank, top up with "best" unleaded. 4 It used to be said that an occasional "thrash" gave an engine and exhaust a good clean out. If you are a low mileage/light footed driver, try going heavy footed for 10-20 miles. (within legal speeds, in 4th gear)
Apologies for the delay in feedback, but I was waiting for a more knowledgeable person to respond.
--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
Thanx Delboy. I'll try to be more heavy footed :-) Best regards, Tomo