Diesel variants

I'm wondering, when I look at second-hand focus diesels, what's the best way to check the variant of engine type and power in a particular model? Is it best to check the paperwork or check under
the bonnet? Does the V5 spell out the type (115bhp TDCI, 100bph TDCI or 90bhp direct injection)? No doubt it's obvious if you know what you're looking at in the engine compartment, but are there any clues to look out for? Some sellers are a bit vague about the actual diesel variant installed, even if they do know it's a diesel and not a petrol engine!
--
Chris Game

"If everything seems under control, you're
On my old escort it tells you the power on the air box
Chris Game wrote:

I take it from the lack of response there's no fool-proof way? I notice the rocker covers have TDCi on them (presumably if appropriate) but how to tell if it's a 100php or a 115 bhp unit? Or if someone's swapped the cover?
--
Chris Game

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

The registration documents will give the engine size.
My insurance company had all the car details (make/model/colour/engine size) from the registration number.
I believe the information in contained in the VIN number. Do a news archive search at <http://groups.google.com/ for VIN ford decoding etc.
--
Alan
wrote

You miss the point. Both the 100 and 115 engines are 1.8 litres displacement. The power difference is due to software *alone*
There is visually almost no way to tell them apart.
Tim..

My impression was that the 115 was more than just "chip-tuned". I think there is also a physical difference in the turbocharger, but you also won't see that from the top of the engine.
Stephen
Stephen F. wrote:

So, as there is a price difference of several hundred pounds between the two variants, how does one tell if a dealer is pulling a fast one (so to speak)? Particularly if second-hand.
--
Chris Game

He who laughs last thinks slowest!

If you feel it's software driven, get out your scantool and determine what version of software you have hiding in there. The VIN doesn't tell you those kinds of things there ?
Bill

what
Likewise I should be able to use me Bluefin and clone the software from a 115 into a 100 and get a 115. Bet its not that simple though!!!
Tim..
This difference between the 2 is the cam and software