Different Cars

Page 1 of 3
The Focus cars made in the EU are better quality and more reliable than the ones made in America, Canada and Mexico.Why would that be?

Add pictures here
✖

Better quality workforce, better quality parts.More expensive parts. Europeans care more about the quality of their small cars than Americans do, To Americans the Focus is generally a 2nd or 3rd car usually driven by the other half and the expectations are not as high.
Regards
Andy Lee
--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

Add pictures here
✖

Sounds reasonable, in addition the Focus isn't a small car in Europe, it's considered IIRC somehow "lower-middle-class", the majority of cars driven over here is this size/class.
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
✖

I sincerely hope this to be nonsense.....
--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies

Add pictures here
✖

the
For the UK market (probably others in the EU too) Foci are built both in Spain and Germany. As a general rule the German cars are better built. (fit and finish, lack of rattles etc)
Tim..
Add pictures here
✖
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:

What's the quickest way of telling which country it was made in?
Useful if you're looking at some second hand examples.
--
Chris Game

"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is
✖

You need to encrypt the VIN Number:
http://www.coolcats.net/tech/reference/vincode.html
(There's somewhere an online calculator, don't have the URL handy)
My Focus was according to its VIN built in Saarlouis (Germany).
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
✖
Michael Heiming wrote:

Hi thats less than twenty kilometers from my home. Mine is from there also. bye Jupp
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:27:58 GMT, Andy Lee

Bullshit
Premium, grade A bullshit
You need to get out of the house away from watching American TV shows.
Freddie
Add pictures here
✖
meddelandet wrote:

I sure heard that Americans have a lot of those Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet pick up trucks, so much that these are their most sold models, and all sorts of SUV's and Mini Vans too, am I deceived here. /per
Add pictures here
✖
Very rude person, you responded to this persons post and demeaned them. I see that you are in Texans I always thought Texans were polite and friendly people?
message wrote:>Europeans care more about the quality of their small cars than

Bullshit
Premium, grade A bullshit
You need to get out of the house away from watching American TV shows.
Freddie
Add pictures here
✖

forget the stereotypes...He said what I was thinking when I read the persons original post...I'd have answered a little more politely but I don't think our expectations are lower because it's a Focus...I'm a female and I want a smaller car that is fun to drive and new so I don't have to worry too much about it. Fords tend to be less expensive to buy and fix and insure than other cars - from my first Maverick in 1973 to my current 2003 Focus. I've had pick-up trucks in there 4 wheel drive and a diesel too but I prefer my smaller cars. The arrogance of this...
>> To Americans the Focus is generally a 2nd or 3rd car

Since women make decisions on what car or truck is bought 74% of the time in the US I don't think ANYONE intelligent in this business would dare to think that way and survive too long. I've been in dealerships where guys try to treat me like that I take my business elsewhere...to a smarter salesperson - male or female. And I do report the offending dealerships to the automakers. Linda
Add pictures here
✖
HbgpodLW wrote:

If this is true I'm sure that's one point of difference between UK (if not Europe) and the US. Do women pay attention to quality issues, read up on them in Which? or other consumer mags, or are they swayed by a good paint job?
--
Chris Game

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing." -- Mark
✖

Another clueless response. Most women are better informed about the financially relevant aspects of car ownership when it comes time to make a purchasing decision. They place an emphasis on quality ratings, fuel economy, service costs. It's usually the men who are acting on impulse...
Add pictures here
✖
On 23 Aug 2004 07:10:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HbgpodLW) wrote:

Well at least you posted more than 1 line of insult. We often think like Freddie but most of us usually pause and take stock and respond in a more reasoned way, but hey ho we can't all be polite and even tempered maybe he just had a bad day at the office.

What's arrogant of making the observation that Foci are 2nd or 3rd choice of car and when you pay a lot less for it than mainstream cars why would you expect mainstream quality. In no way was I implying that because you were female that your specific expectations were not as high but be honest if your husband brought the car for you he probably couldn't give a damn what the quality was like unless it impinged on his own life too much

Please cite evidence that this is the case, remember here in the Uk a large percentage (>50%)of cars are company cars and choice is not always an option and even if it was most peole who chose them have another car at home

Good for you Linda I bet that makes you feel a whole lot better :-) This doesn't matter in the UK most dealers treat you like sh*t weather you are male or female.

Add pictures here
✖
Andy Lee wrote:

You seem to equate performance and features with 'quality'; if Japanese manufacturers have taught us anything it is that volume products have to be reliable and dependable to sell, and to reduce warranty costs. Thus small cars - driven by the Japanese competition - generally have high 'quality', where quality means fitness for purpose (or similar).
--
Chris Game

'Calm down -- it's only ones and zeros.'
✖

Until you need to get some spare parts, motor-bike/car doesn't matter, Japanese manufacturer rip you off over here (Germany).
So, let's have a look if reality backs up Andy's statement:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6844.asp
Top Selling Vehicles in US in 2002
This list was gathered by www.autonews.com
1: Ford F-350 2: Chevrolet Silverado 1500 3: Toyota Camry Solera 4: Ford Explorer 5: Honda Accord 6: Dodge Ram Van 1500 7: Ford Taurus 8: Honda Civic 9: Chevrolet Trailblazer 10: Dodge Caravan
Lot's of SUV among them, couldn't find any stats for the UK, perhaps someone has an URL?
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
✖
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:57:14 -0000, Michael Heiming

Care to define "lots"? Maybe you can name the lots of SUVs on your list; it won't take long ;-)
Freddie
Add pictures here
✖
In alt.autos.ford.focus Freddie the Crook Finder

Sure you will tell us?
--
Michael Heiming (GPG-Key ID: 0xEDD27B94)
✖
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:59:04 -0000, Michael Heiming

Oh heck, your no fun at all. Just in case, number 4, Ford Explorer and number 9, Chevrolet Trailblazer are the only SUVs, but you already knew that. It's the reasoning that concludes that 2 out of 10 constitutes, "Lots of SUV among them", that I was hoping to see.
I'm not a big fan of statistics anyway; I always think of the line, "Lies, dam lies and statistics". The Ford F 350, for those who may not know, is enough truck to pull down a house, two houses if you spring for the 6.8 L V10. This was the best selling vehicle in the U.S. in '02? I don't think so.
Freddie

Add pictures here
✖