Difficult to shift into reverse

I just bought a manual transmission 2005 ZX3, and it is pretty tricky to shift into reverse. It won't shift into reverse when I move the shifter all the way to the right and down. Is it supposed to be this
hard?
-Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If it's the same as earlier models, there is a ring around the shifter you pull up on while shifting, in order to engage the proper linkage for reverse.
Ron
This might be a dumb question, but are you lifting the spring-loaded"collar" fully while shifting into reverse? Steve

Ok, thanks guys. I realized that I've been forcing it into reverse without lifiting the "collar". Does this mean that the locking mechanism for the reverse gear is now broken?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you have no trouble shifting into reverse after lifting the the spring loaded collar below the shifter knob, then no it is not broken.
--
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

John R Cambron wrote:

John, Are you past 250K yet? I'm just piddlin' along, crossed 109 last weekend.
Tony Wesley wrote:

Give me three weeks. Parked in my back yard now 11 24 2005 the clock reads 246,148.
--
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.

John R Cambron wrote:

Parked? I didn't think your car ever stopped moving. :)
Tony Wesley wrote:

If it wasn't a holiday it would be moving.
Seriously thinking about purchasing a used yellow 2003 ZX3 that sitting on a used car lot in Seaford Delaware.
--
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.