Difficult to shift into reverse

I just bought a manual transmission 2005 ZX3, and it is pretty tricky to shift into reverse. It won't shift into reverse when I move the shifter all the way to the right and down. Is it supposed to be this hard?

-Thanks

Reply to
vchengap

If it's the same as earlier models, there is a ring around the shifter you pull up on while shifting, in order to engage the proper linkage for reverse.

Ron

Reply to
RonrutMR2

This might be a dumb question, but are you lifting the spring-loaded"collar" fully while shifting into reverse? Steve

Reply to
Steven Finnerty

Ok, thanks guys. I realized that I've been forcing it into reverse without lifiting the "collar". Does this mean that the locking mechanism for the reverse gear is now broken?

Reply to
vchengap

If you have no trouble shifting into reverse after lifting the the spring loaded collar below the shifter knob, then no it is not broken.

Reply to
John R Cambron

John, Are you past 250K yet? I'm just piddlin' along, crossed 109 last weekend.

Reply to
Tony Wesley

Give me three weeks. Parked in my back yard now 11 24 2005 the clock reads 246,148.

Reply to
John R Cambron

Parked? I didn't think your car ever stopped moving. :)

Reply to
Tony Wesley

If it wasn't a holiday it would be moving.

Seriously thinking about purchasing a used yellow 2003 ZX3 that sitting on a used car lot in Seaford Delaware.

Reply to
John R Cambron