dirty, rusty coolant

Hey guys--
My mother's fort tarus has filthy coolant (rust colored) that was just flushed from the system. Its immediately dirty again, right after being
added and run for a few minutes. Local mechanic says that that radiator is probably rotted/rusted out, which seems about right.
Recently however, another point was brought up, the possibility that the corrosion has spread to the engine. Are there any good tests or rules of thumb to test where the problem is before she spends 250 on a radiator and 500 for a heater core? Thanks to all who may answer.
Omar

You could buy the parts for about $300 and install them for her. It's always a good idea to treat your mother well and surprise her now and then.
Bill

The mechanic may have just drained the radiator and added some coolant & water. I'd try back-flushing the entire cooling system before replacing the radiator and core.
Don