Droning noise

I've got a 2001 Ford Focus 1.6 with just over 30K miles on the clock. At 70mph - 75mph i'm getting a very loud droning noise which appears to be comming from the front of the car. If i'm 1mph either above or below this
speed the noise disapears. Also on this certain road i'm getting a slow vibration comming through the car, almost like something is resonating against the floor pan. This seems to appear at any speed but only in this one road. I think it's to do with it having slight dipps in the road.
The car only went in for service last week so everything has been checked (although i didn't tell them about the problem). I've also jacked the car up to see if there is any play in the wheel bearings, but they appear to be fine.
The noise is still there if i put the clutch in, so i assume it can't be the gearbox? As such i'm starting to think that it's the driveshaft, but of course this was checked in the service. I have to take the car back to the dealer next week as my power steering pump is leaking, but i'd like to know if anyone has any ideas what it could be before that. I can imagine them replacing loads of parts and still not solving the problem.
Thanks.
Richard, I have a 2001 1.6 as well (Auto tho). For some time I was getting a strange feel from the front of the car - nothing major but just wasn't quite the sparkling focus drive I love. Similarly my 'noise/feel' was not dependent on engine speed etc, so like you felt it might be bearings or drive or something like that.
I had to change the rear tyres, so got those replaced about 3 weeks ago, moved the front to rear with rebalancing (fitter said they were slightly out), put new ContiEcocontact's on the front (new tread design to old tyres which are now on the back). I now have my sparkling focus drive back.
I am not saying this is your problem - but just put this into your thinking before making any big decisions.
Paul R

up
the
know
Richard wrote:

Similar problem here, got vibrations at certain speed ranges, 68-70Mph, not above or below that, took it in they rebalanced the tires, that pretty much fixed it right up. If something is out of balance it should have a 'resonant frequency' of vibration, and it just happened to be the speed of 68-70 Mph on mine, so speed dependant vibrations usually are something that is out of balance or out of round, say unevenly worn tires.