engine light reset??

is there a way of resetting a engine light after repairs are done. I replaced the dpfe after getting the code read and the car is running a lot better so I believe I fixed what was wrong. do I need to go somewhere to have it reset or is it just a matter of time before the computer recognizes that it has been fixed and goes off automatically? if it helps its a 2001 se US 2.0 zetec.

Reply to
The Saltman

I've asked that question, here, too, and never gotten a response--at least not a response on how to reset it.

I also have a US 2001 Zetec. Somewhere in your owners manual, it says how long the reset takes to occur after a problem is remedied. I think it's something like 3, 4, or 5 full "start cycles" where a start cycle means starting with a cold engine and warming to operating temps for a while. So assuming you did fully correct the problem (I also had to have my dpfe replaced--engine light "on" and minor stumbling at speed), it could easily be close to a week before the light resets on its own. Multiple starts within a day may not start with a cold enough engine for the computer to consider it a valid start cycle--it's that first start of the morning and running the engine up to temp that helps--so 3-5 days or so are the minimum to reset your light automatically. Assuming the car runs well, I'd only begin to worry if the light's still on next week at this time. Good luck.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

thanks for the info.. on my fourth cold start the light went off.

Reply to
The Saltman

try disconnecting the battery overnight thats what ford uk told me and it did work

Reply to
Steve Robinson