Engine oil query

My previous garage supplied my 2003 ST170 with 5W30 oil but I've just had it serviced at another Ford garage and they've filled it with Magnatec which
looking at the Castrol site reckons it's 10W40.
Who's right, the new garage or the old? Will it cause me any problems?Should I complain?!
Thanks.
writes

on Castrol's site.
--
Paul Giverin

steve wrote:

10W-30 is what Ford says to use.

Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin wrote:

Well? Is it a secret?

that Ford recommend the same grade of oil in every part of the world.
--
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin wrote:

I was referring to the recommended oil weight in the UK. Ford typically recommends heavier weight oils in Europe. 5W30 would be very unusual since 10W30 is the US recommendation. This sort of thing addresses the OP's question. BTW, any oil related engine parts are exactly the same whether sold in the US or the UK. So, the question remains: do you know the Ford UK oil weight recommendation for the ST170 engine?

The Ford USA recommendation for most engines is now 5W-20, not 10W-30. A few vehicles are exceptions to the 5W-20 recommendation, specifically the SVT (AKA the ST170 in the UK) Focus. For the exceptions, Ford USA recommends 5W-30. There is one vehicle class that uses 10W-30, and that is FFVs (Flexible Fuel Vehicles).
Source: ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Article No. 02-1-9 a.. ENGINE - ENGINE OIL - RECOMMENDED APPLICATIONS FOR SAE 5W-20 AND SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OILS - GASOLINE AND FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES ONLY
Publication Date: JANUARY 14, 2002
ISSUE: Ford Motor Company now recommends SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade for servicing most gasoline and flexible fueled vehicles.
ACTION: All 2001 and 2002 vehicles where SAE 5W-20 is specified should be serviced at the recommended oil change intervals using SAE 5W-20. This oil is an improved formulation to improve fuel economy. Testing has validated this viscosity grade can be used in many previous model year vehicles. It is recommended ALL vehicles on the following Vehicle Application Listing be service with SAE 5W-20.
All 2001-2002 vehicles other than those listed in the "Exception 2001 Vehicles" or "Exception 2002 Vehicles" chart are being filled with SAE 5W-20 motor oil at the factory and should also be serviced with SAE 5W-20 oil.
[snip list of vehicles affected]
NOTE: FOR 1993 THROUGH 1998 MODEL YEAR FFV USE XO-10W30-FFV.
NOTE: THE "EXCEPTION 2001-2002 VEHICLES" SHOULD BE SERVICED WITH SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OIL.
Exception 2001 Vehicles
Engine Vehicle 3.3L Villager 3.9L Lincoln LS 4.0L Ranger, Explorer/Mountaineer, Explorer Sport, and Explorer Sport Trac
Exception 2002 Vehicles
Engine Vehicle 2.0L HP Zetec SVT Focus 3.3L Villager 4.0L Ranger, Explorer/Mountaineer, Explorer Sport, and Explorer Sport Trac
NOTE: IF VEHICLE IS NOT LISTED IN THIS APPLICATION, SAE 5W-30 OIL IS RECOMMENDED. REFER TO TSB 99-8-16.
The reason for this recommendation for 5W-20 oil in new Fords is to achieve higher CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) ratings.
The reason for the retroactive recommendation in older vehicles appears to be a condition imposed by the EPA that Ford had to meet in order to be allowed to specify 5W-20 in new vehicles, to improve the EPA fuel mileage ratings.
------------------------------------------------------------------------ http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/524.html refers to it:
I came across an article that appears to show that the 5w20 weight oils are being pushed by the car manufacturers to improve the CAFE rating just as many on this board suspected. After reading this letter, I think if I had a 5w20 requirement in my new Ford, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to a 5w30! NOtice the emphasis by the EPA to make sure that the car manufacturers promoted the new oil in order to get the credit.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/ccd0112.pdf
------------------------------------------------------------------------ HTH
Mark

5W-30 *is* the recommended viscosity in the UK.
I understood from what US posters here had said, that the recommended viscosity in the US was 5W-20.

But the climate is different not to mention the differing environmental/emission standards between the UK and various US states.

--
Paul Giverin

Recommended in Canada is 5W20. Ron
writes

What is the oil specification in your owner's manual?
Timothy J. Lee
HEY GUYS,
FORD OIL SUCKS.
USE MOBIL 1 OR AMSOIL. 10-40W WINTER, SUMMER USE 20-50W. GOOD STUFF. ALSO, AUTO TRANNY, USE AMSOIL ATF. MANUEL, REG SYNTHETIC 70-90 W OIL.
ALSO, REAR WHEEL BEARING SUCK, YOU CAN REPACK, USE AMSOIL SERIES 2000 RACING GREASE. ALSO, GET CRYO TREATMENT ON BEARINGS, ROTORS AND DRUMS IF YOU CAN.
J.

writes

--
Paul Giverin

"This all sounds great but how is this "compressor" must take a fair bit of power to drive it."
"As the air is draw in through the engine...."
Perhaps you'd like to check your own keyboard?
Jim
&gt;HEY GUYS,<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;FORD OIL SUCKS.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; Not as much as your keyboard!<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt;USE MOBIL 1&nbsp;&nbsp; OR&nbsp; AMSOIL.<BR>&gt; &gt;10-40W WINTER,&nbsp; SUMMER USE&nbsp; 20-50W.<BR>&gt; &gt;GOOD STUFF.<BR>&gt; &gt;ALSO, AUTO TRANNY,&nbsp; USE AMSOIL&nbsp; ATF.<BR>&gt; &gt;MANUEL, REG SYNTHETIC&nbsp; 70-90 W OIL.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;ALSO, REAR WHEEL BEARING SUCK, YOU CAN REPACK,<BR>&gt; &gt;USE AMSOIL SERIES 2000 RACING GREASE.<BR>&gt; &gt;ALSO, GET CRYO TREATMENT ON BEARINGS, ROTORS AND<BR>&gt; &gt;DRUMS IF YOU CAN.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- = <BR>&gt; Paul Giverin<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; British Jet Engine Website&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT><A href="http://www.britjet.co.uk "><FONT size=2>http://www.britjet.co.uk </FONT></A></BODY></HTML> ------=
Paul Giverin wrote:

have too much respect for someone who praises the products he represents by badmouthing the competition.
All of the oils and greases that are sold by the auto manufacturers with their name on it (Motorcraft is an example) are made by the same big companies that make the major store brands like Pennzoil and Quaker State. The Ford dealership here uses bulk Quaker State when servicing cars. Just look up at the roof, and you will see the hose rack for the various oils and fluids.

correct author.
--
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin wrote:

Paul Giverin

YOU'RE WRONG BAT MAN
GO READ WHY OIL IS TESTED AT API. AND READ WHAT SAE DOES TO TEST OIL. NOW GO READ WHAT AMSOIL DID AND WHAT MOBIL 1 DID. I DON'T SELL AMSOIL NOR MOBIL 1. I TEST, RACE AND TRY TO TELL THESE MANUFACTURES WHAT CRAP THEY MAKE, AND FORD IS ONE OF THE WORST. SUING IS THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE FORD REALIZE THAT THEY BETTER INCREASE THEIR PRODUCT QUALITY OR ELSE. THEY LOSE EVERY WHERE. Ford continues to screw consumers all the time. When we started checking ATF fluids, I cold not believe that all Ford cars and trucks have this fluid that fails at 255 deg F. And I mean if it goes above that temp, you have less than 100 miles before your bands in your auto tranny burn up. And the thing is, all major oil companies use synthetics now, why not Ford? They are greedy and want to screw the consumer. Don't believe me, -- go test the oil for yourself.
Use redline, mobil1 or even K mart for all I car, get that temp up so it passes 410 deg. F..
John.
Richard Ray wrote:

The 10 in the oil rating represents the viscosity when cold. 10W40 is a warm-weather oil which is reasonable at this time of year. At cool temperatures (say down to freezing) it will flow a little slower than 5-weight but not enough to cause any harm. The difference is only relevant during winter.