Engine warning light

United Kingdom, Ford Focus 1.6i, 2001, manual transmission, 39K miles.

Today my engine warning light came on accompanied by a very rough engine.

The engines attempts to maintain tick over revs, but feels lumpy as if one or more cylinders are not firing correctly

All the obvious were immediately checked , fuel and all fluid levels okay etc. Temperature gauge not above normal.

On gentle execration the car hesitates but is derivable - I nursed it home at 20/25 mph

I have a cheap OBDII reader and this gives the error codes

Fuel and Air Metering Code 0181 - Fuel Temperature Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

and

Transmission Code 0761 - Shift Solenoid C Performance or Stuck Off

I suspect that the transmission warning is bogus (unless someone knows different) - the car has manual gearbox.

Would a failure of the fuel temperature sensor cause this type of fault? Does anyone know where it is located? Is it part of some other sensor/control?

Reply to
Alan

with this model and age its normally the coil pack, that will explain the 2 cylinders off (we used to change about 5 a week)

diesels have a fuel temp sensor, i'm sure petrols dont have them i would ignore both codes and go for a coil pack

Reply to
ford_technical_

Given that you are getting spurious fault codes (no fuel temp sensor on a petrol, and definately no shift soloniod on a manual box) and a severe misfire, i'll bet my lower ball that your coil pack has thrown the towel in and is spiking the ECU .

Fairly to very common on the 1.6. (though not as common as if it were a Peugeot / Renault / VAG!)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

In message , ford_technical_ wrote

Despite my appalling spelling in the original post, your diagnosis was correct.

Duff coil pack.

Reply to
Alan

Just had a coil pack changed today for the very same thing. Check Engine light on and running rough. I read on a Ford Focus Forum this was common on 2001 models...guess still is on 2005. The service guy said they put a newly designed unit on Cylinder number one.

Reply to
Gary Avrett