Foci in the snow?

My sister is considering purchasing a Focus after several years driving a Subaru AWD. Handling in the snow is a large concern for her. I haven't had much trouble with my Focus wagon, but I don't get nearly as much snow in a winter as she does.

So, I thought I would ask the group: how does your Focus handle in the snow?

Thank you.

Reply to
Dave Holmes

I have a 2001 ZTS with the 205/50/16 tires and the answer is that this is no snow car. I've not tried getting the 14 or 15" wheels and putting snow tires on it.

Craig (in surprisingly snowy Flagstaff AZ)

Reply to
Craig

Just an observation: If there's to be a car in the median, it'll be an SUV, truck or Subaru in approximately that order. With decent driving and snow tyres, Foci are excellent in the snow.

Reply to
FanJet

I will also agree with above statement, however my experience is with all season radial tires and I find it to be quite good.

I will remind all that no matter what type of tires one may have on their vehicle be it FWD, RWD or AWD you may be able to go in the snow, but sure as hell are not going to be able to stop as if your were on just wet or dry pavement. This is why you see all those truck and SUV in the ditches.

Reply to
John R Cambron

== My Daughter has had a 2003 Focus wagon for 2 years. It has the Pirelli low profile tires but is still very good in snow ( I live in Canada) I have never driven a FWD vehicle that wasn't good in snow though. All wheel drive (Subaru) is the greatest, but as John (above) pointed out all vehicles equipped with the same type of tire stop in about the same distance on snow and ice.(Forget antilock for now.) The reason 4WD's have so many accidents is that the traction is so good the driver forgets how slippery the surface is until he hits the brakes. The very worst vehicles for stopping on snow (In my estimation) are very heavy SUV's/pickups, with fat tires. Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

For sure. It'd also help if idiot sales droids stopped referring to SUVs and trucks as cars. They're not and their handling surprisingly proves the point for lots of people.

Reply to
FanJet

"Craig" wrote

That's the key. Get 195/60 15 winter tires on steel rims and you'll be amazed, and keep your alloy wheels out of the salt. 185/70 14s will work even better, but of course cornering will be less sporty. But what the heck are we talking about snow for? It's 90 degrees outside!

Reply to
Dave Gower

I've been pleasantly surprised with how well my '05 wagon does in the snow - surefooted and predictable. I'm no tire geek - just the stock Eagles on 15' alloy rims. YMMV!

Dan

Reply to
phinegan

Dave Gower schrieb:

Hi mine are 185/70 14 and they work fine. No problems while others with summer wheels are writing circels in the snow.

But what the heck

I hope you don´t count in Celsius :-) About 30 degrees Celsius inside here an 22:39 hours. Saarland, Germany.

bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

That's the first time in my life I've "schriebed", and it didn't hurt a bit : I hope you don´t count in Celsius :-)

Of course in Canada we use Celsius too, but saying it's 32 would look like snow weather to our U.S. friends, and some actually think we get snow in July! In fact most of the past week it's been as hot here in Ottawa as in Houston.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Kind of like in the wintertime when it is sometimes warmer in Fairbanks Alaska then it is in Washington DC.

Reply to
John R Cambron

"" wrote: > "Craig" wrote > > > I have a 2001 ZTS with the 205/50/16 tires and the answer > is that this is > > no snow car. I've not tried getting the 14 or 15" wheels and > putting snow > > tires on it. > > That's the key. Get 195/60 15 winter tires on steel rims and > you'll be > amazed, and keep your alloy wheels out of the salt. 185/70 14s > will work > even better, but of course cornering will be less sporty. But > what the heck > are we talking about snow for? It's 90 degrees outside!

I live in Buffalo NY and my 2000 Focus is not great in the snow. I just have the all weather tires that came with it and I could use snow tires but the car only goes around town so I don?t want to bother and make do but if you are going to be doing a lot of driving in the snow I would definately get snow tires.

Reply to
acraftylady