Focus 1.8 Diesel - cam belt (54 plate)

Son in law has just had a breakdown due (he believes) to a broken timing belt.

I am struggling to find if the engine is an interference engine. What damage will have been done?

I haven't seen the car for myself - it is with his father who is going to take it to a garage this week.

I would like to be able to prepare him for what it might cost!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

According to Autodata, both variants of the 1.8 are interference.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan wrote in news:JiVns.365 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx01.am:

Thanks for that Chris. I was getting frustrated trying to find it for myself - I kept getting onto USA lists of Fords.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Chris Whelan wrote in news:JiVns.365 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx01.am:

Apparently it is the Flywheel that has failed. I presume it is one of thise with the torsion damper.

Reply to
DerbyBorn
[...]

It has a DMF, yes.

OOI, what mileage is it on?

It would be sensible to replace the clutch, and the clutch slave cylinder whilst it's in bits.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan wrote in news:Y2bos.519524$ snipped-for-privacy@fx25.am:

65k I don't think his driving habits will have helped - holding it on a hill by riding the clutch and changing up a gear too soon. It is having a new clutch - nut sure about the slave - is it internal like the Ka?

I think he said £700 incl a service, clutch and fixing a water leak.

Reply to
DerbyBorn
[...]

Yes, it's internal.