Focus 1.8 Diesel - cam belt (54 plate)

Son in law has just had a breakdown due (he believes) to a broken timing belt.
I am struggling to find if the engine is an interference engine. What
damage will have been done?
I haven't seen the car for myself - it is with his father who is going to take it to a garage this week.
I would like to be able to prepare him for what it might cost!
On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:50:09 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

According to Autodata, both variants of the 1.8 are interference.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Thanks for that Chris. I was getting frustrated trying to find it for myself - I kept getting onto USA lists of Fords.

Apparently it is the Flywheel that has failed. I presume it is one of thise with the torsion damper.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:05:39 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

It has a DMF, yes.
OOI, what mileage is it on?
It would be sensible to replace the clutch, and the clutch slave cylinder whilst it's in bits.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

65k I don't think his driving habits will have helped - holding it on a hill by riding the clutch and changing up a gear too soon. It is having a new clutch - nut sure about the slave - is it internal like the Ka?
I think he said 700 incl a service, clutch and fixing a water leak.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 19:00:53 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's internal.
Chris
--