Focus 1.8 Diesel electrical problems

Hi All,

On my way to work Fri morning all my dashboard instruments failed, speedo, tacho, fuel guage etc and the indicators. I called the breakdown man out and he said it could be the Alternator on the way out. I could still start and drive the car etc... Anyway I had a tow to my nearest garage and left it with the Auto electrician. He told me there had been a short at the back of the fuse box and charged me 70 pounds. Today whilst driving along the motorway my dash board lights went out and so did my tail lights but the instruments were working. Just prior to this the radio was suffering from interference as it was before the first problem. Upon investigating it myself I found a 10 amp fuse had blown on the fuse panel behind the glove compartment and I noticed a non standard fuse that had been replaced also which I presume the Auto electrician did and charged me 70 pounds for. Anyway I'm a lil worried as to why my fuses have started to blow all of a sudden. Can anyone point me in the right direction please as to where the problem may lie. Or has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
Lucifer

I lost lots of electrical things, indicators, intermittent wipers, air con, and electric door mirrors. When you turned on the ignition the wipers would start on their own maybe the front, maybe the back sometimes both. The dealer looked at it and said it was a chaffed wire shorting out behind the centre console. They charged me three hours labour to remove the centre console and fix it. Some two weeks later the air con has packed up again. This is an 01 1.8 Diesel.

Reply to
G.O.