focus 1.8 zetec (2000 reg) - steering rack leak

During an annual service in July 2002 a 'leak from power steering rack' was recorded on the visual inspection report giving an amber warning. Mileage was 48000.

Within the last month I have had to top the steering fluid up with approx

150cc of fluid, I took it into Fords who service it and they want £550 to repair (£450 with non-ford exchange unit) Current mileage is 66000 miles (so a little high, but not so high you would expect the rack to fail, in my opinion)

How many others have had issues with steering racks and fluid leaks, I see at least one in this news group recently.

I think at the moment I can only complain to fords regarding the steering rack and see where I get, it would be nice to know how common this has been in the past.

On another note I had to change the near-side wheel bearing several months ago due to it failing. I see on this news group that is fairly common!

Cheers

Ade.

Reply to
Ade