Focus Air Condtioner Problem with low milage!

Have 2000 Focus zx3....only 6500 miles. Today, air conditioner selector light went out. Air conditioner does not work. Only used air conditioner four or five times. Any suggestions? Any unannounced warranties by Ford? Never had this type of problem in low milage car. It seems that Ford made a lousy car. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Walter Blackman

In alt.autos.ford.focus Walter Blackman :

Take the car to some "lousy" Ford dealer?

No problems with my 1999 Focus and A/C, the car is just as reliable as any other Ford, quite a few, I owned. From reading here, it seems as if European Focus are general much better quality then those made in north America. Makes you wonder what are the reasons?

- Better third party parts?

- Better/more knowledgeable Ford worker/management over here?

- Just for the reason the Focus was AFAIK developed in Europe (Ford Germany)?

- All of the above?

A shame Ford made the latest Focus model look as any other car, while the first Focus had a more or less unique design.;(

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Most likely a direct result of you not using the a/c regularly.- the seals have dried out and the gas escaped.

Ford is not liable.

The owners handbook states quite clearly the A/C should be exercised at least once a fortnight to keep it in good order and the seals moist.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

A 2000 Focus with only 6500 miles has obviously sat around for long periods of time. You can expect many problems due to seals drying out, corrosion etc. It's not Ford's fault, any vehicle will have this issue. Cars are not designed to sit unused.

Reply to
Dave Gower

I have a collection of GM & Ford Older cars ( circa + 30 years) all with A/C. They sit around and are only run a couple of times a month. The GM do not seem to loose Freon as the system they use is screwed together fittings. The only weak point in GM systems is the lip seal on the compressor. The Fords are always loosing Freon as the system they use is crappy, cheap design. Its made up of press together fittings with O-rings. The O-rings dry out and leak if the system is not used on a regular basis.The Fords' actually leak when the system is used on a regular basis any how. You just need to get it recharged and leak tested and use it all the time. I leave my A/C on all the time and just adjust the fan speed and temperature. In the winter or when its cold out the system only kicks in occasionally, enough to keep the seals moist. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Henri

I can't comment on your particular collection of cars, but you need to be cautious about comparing experience of three decades ago with a modern car like the Focus. Air conditioning has undergone many changes, particularly with the change of working fluid resulting from the freon ban over a decade ago.

Reply to
Dave Gower

There have not been any "real" changes they still use the same components only smaller and lighter. All my cars converted to 134A and parts replaced as needed. New cars use smaller compressors and they have to work harder to cool the same volume and do not do as good a job. Ford still used push connectors on most of its model GM still uses screw connections.The auto manufacturers have still not invented a totally sealed system for their vehicles - as used in fridges and freezers.

I can't comment on your particular collection of cars, but you need to be cautious about comparing experience of three decades ago with a modern car like the Focus. Air conditioning has undergone many changes, particularly with the change of working fluid resulting from the freon ban over a decade ago.

Reply to
Henri

You ignore the many invisible routine refinements, particularly in the composition of materials.

I'm not an auto air conditioning expert but I do know that household appliances do not do well if left outdoors in climates with large temperature swings, particularly the cold temps we get around here. The joints tend to leak. I would suspect that the vibrations in a vehicle would be hard on them as well. So I doubt that fridges are a meaningful comparison. Perhaps someone with professional qualifications is reading this and would like to comment.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Well, the new Focus manual clearly states (with a warning sign) that the air condition must operate at least 30 minutes every month. I assume something similar must be written in the previous model manual?

-Nick

Reply to
Nick the Greek

All I can add is that our laboratory fridges and freezers do not tolerate vibration at all (cannot be switched back on for at least 12 hours after moving) so the design requirements for automotive AC systems are completely different than household or industrial cooling units.

Reply to
Stephen F.

Reply to
mikl