Focus Bluetooth and CD6000 unit

Hello.

I have a 57 plate (Oct 07) reg 2.0 TDci Focus Titanium with a factory fitted bluetooth module that works through the CD6000. It's done about 20,000 miles. It's from Ford Direct. We got it in August '08 and the warranty runs out in Aug '10.

Since getting it my wife and I have had our phones (Nokia for me ... and can't remember what my wife had) paired to it and it has worked fine. About

6 months ago I got a Blackberry Storm2 and about 3 months ago my wife got an iPhone 3GS. They both paired up no problems and have been used for calls once or twice a week I guess.

About 2 weeks ago the bluetooth menu completely disappeared from the CD6000. We noticed because when my wife got in the car she knew I was last in and it was my phone that was selected. It's a simple process to then make a menu selection and select her phone. We've both done it many times .... but the menu was gone!!

Strangely enough the car had been into Ford a few days earlier because very occasionally, over a period of a couple of weeks it had become a very poor starter. 9 times out of 10 it would start and then it would be a pig. 4 or

5 times on the key and you could coax it into life. It didn't matter if it was hot, cold, short journey, long journey. They kept it overnight to do cold start tests. Nothing showed up but 'Ford Technical' told them it might be worth replacing the throttle assembly or something similar. This they did and it has started fine ever since. It was all covered by the Ford Direct warranty.

In fact all was fine until a few days after we got it back and my wife tried to select her phone ... and the menu wasn't there as explained above.

I contacted Ford who said bring it in for a 'battery pull' as that usually sorts things out. It didn't this time. They ordered in a new bluetooth module which they fitted a few days later. While they had the car they phoned me and asked what phones we had paired to it and I told them ... and that they had been working fine. And so to the point of this little story.

When I picked the car up I was told that the iPhone was not fully compatible with the bluetooth module and the BB Storm2 was a complete no no, as I would see if I looked on the Ford website. I was then told that particularly with the Blackberry there was a chance it could drain the battery and that even when the phone wasn't connected it remained 'on' (or something similar) and it was possible other electrical problems could be caused. I was then told that should there be any further problems associated with the Bluetooth they would not be covered by the warranty (which runs out in August anyway). I went home and checked and certainly the iPhone is not fully compatible and the Storm 2 is not listed ... probably because it didn't come out until late last year.

So, the dilemma is whether or not to pair our phones again? I still have my Nokia N95 with a payg sim in and we are thinking of pairing that and just leaving it in the car. Mainly phone calls we get are from each other so it wouldn't be a big drama just to add that phone nr to our contacts and if one knew the other was out in the car call them on the N95 number.

What do all you peeps make of it??

Bye for now.

Phil

Reply to
Phil C

If you don't pair your phones with the CD6000 unit, you can't use it, right? So what do you lose if you pair them and the unit stops working?

Any problems caused by the bluetooth I would think be limited to the blue tooth system and should not be able to affect other systems in the car. I don't see how the problems could ripple to other systems.

You should also search for more info that others have shared, like with google (keywords like bluetooth blackberry ford cd6000) and find out what others have experienced.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Hello Dr Jeff,

Yeah, that's kinda how I saw it but thought I'd see what the ng's brought up. I paired by BB as soon as I got home from the garage but have had Bluetooth turned off. I'll turn it on now .... and pair my wifes iToy as well. Life can return to normal!

Tks for your reply.

Phil

Reply to
Phil C

I looked and I found!!! Here's where it was

and in case the link doesn't work this is what it says ........ ...... Focus, 07 plate with 6000CD, Bluetooth and Voice Control factory fitted. For some reason the Bluetooth / Voice control unit can lock up. This will suddenly stop your Bluetooth working and you will be unable to pair your phone with the unit.

To fix it I was told to power off the car audio unit by removing fuse 58 in the fusebox which is under the dash on the passenger side. **BEFORE** you do this make sure you have the security pin code for the unit.

Leave it disconnected for 30 seconds or so, then re-insert, enter the Pin code and Hey Presto your Bluetooth is working again !

If you are working on a different car then make sure you get the right fuse, and don't blame me if you get the wrong one....

Phil

Reply to
Phil C

Oh .. I should just say I did look around before I posted on the ng and didn't find the gem of info above.

Reply to
Phil C