Focus Diesel Smoking Exhaust

Hi,

I have a 2001 1.8 Focus turbo diesel with about 52,000 miles on the clock. I have started to notice that it smokes a bit from the exhaust when accelerating between about 1200 and 2000 RPM (pulling away from a roundabout or traffic lights for example). It is most noticeable from cold, but is still *faintly* visible when the engine is fully hot and when accelerating at higher revs.

Is this something to worry about? Its service and MOT are due in February and I don't want to take in to the garage unnecessarily.

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

Time for a new EGR valve...!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. writes

Thanks Tim.

Do I take it from the exclamation mark that this is "a bad thing" and likely to cost a bit? Any ideas how much a bit is would be?

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail

Reply to
Pop-N-Fresh

Sticky EGR's are very very common on all the TDci's and typically last about

40-50k. Around 60quid plus fitting.

I have had some luck cleaning them in an ultrasonic bath, but they seem to stick again soon after.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

In message , "Tim (remove obvious)" writes

Thanks again, doesn't sound too expensive.

BraileTrail

Reply to
BraileTrail