Focus Diesel Smoking Exhaust

Hi,
I have a 2001 1.8 Focus turbo diesel with about 52,000 miles on the clock. I have started to notice that it smokes a bit from the exhaust when accelerating between about 1200 and 2000 RPM (pulling away from a
roundabout or traffic lights for example). It is most noticeable from cold, but is still *faintly* visible when the engine is fully hot and when accelerating at higher revs.
Is this something to worry about? Its service and MOT are due in February and I don't want to take in to the garage unnecessarily.
Thanks, BraileTrail

Tim..

Thanks Tim.
Do I take it from the exclamation mark that this is "a bad thing" and likely to cost a bit? Any ideas how much a bit is would be?
Thanks, BraileTrail
here in the states EGR valves are cheap... dunno how many brit lbs itll cost you though.... shouldnt be much BraileTrail wrote:

writes

Sticky EGR's are very very common on all the TDci's and typically last about 40-50k. Around 60quid plus fitting.
I have had some luck cleaning them in an ultrasonic bath, but they seem to stick again soon after.
Tim..

Thanks again, doesn't sound too expensive.
BraileTrail