focus fault ?.

Hi, Could anybody shed any light on the following fault. I have a 1999 Focus 1.8 zetec, it's done just under 45,000 miles. Just lately it's started mucking about, when driving the Speedo needle dies & the radio goes really quiet, only lasts less than 30 seconds then it's o.k. but when you go to slow down when it happens the engine stalls, it does starts straight away then it's alright.

I've heard all about the electrical problems these cars have, since I've had the car (2.5 years) the interior light works very erratically not working at all for months then on it goes for a few weeks, then its gone again.

Any info would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

Kev (Coventry U.K.)

Reply to
kev

First check the Pos. Terminal on your Bat-try for Corrosion. Sounds like this or one of your Bat-try Cells going flat.

-- Dan

03 ZX5 21.3k miles Va - USA "Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it" - George Santyana
Reply to
Dan

Very likely a faulty connection on the gearbox speed sensor (which drives the speedo and also signals the ECU to control idle speed) Its abit of a pig to reach down the back of the engine ontop of the gearbox, but would be worth giving the connector a tug / wiggle and / or clean.

It has to be the speed sensor as this signal goes first to the ECU and then onto the speedo.

Check the battery cables for tightness and corrosion whilst your at it.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..