Focus Gas mileage

My 2000 Focus Wagon w/automatic gets 26.5 m.p.g. with mostly highway driving.. Is that all I can expect to get? Consumer Reports Says it should get 30.
Thanks

I presume these are American gallons. Regardless, this is definitely low. My 2000 wagon with 5-speed (Canadian model) gets in the low 40s Imperial, which is mid 30s U.S., in the same kind of driving. Automatics get 1-2 mpg less.
I see from your other post that you bought it used. Do you know when it last had a full tune-up i.e. new plugs and wires, cleaning the intake, new air and fuel filter etc. I had this done last year and was very happy with how much better it ran.
Tire inflation can also be a factor, as well as whether the transmission is going into overdrive reliably.
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:14:22 -0500, "Dave Gower"

That's where I'm at with our 00 automatic wagon as well. I figure the only way it will get better mileage is to slow down. (I'm running 75mph.)
Matt Focus owner

Cold weather seems to have a drastic effect on my 2001 ZX3. In the summer around 31-32mpg in the winter about 28-29mpg and I drive about 75 to 80 mph mostly highway miles. Mine is a 5 speed stick.
"SayWhat?" <whereeverforever.com> wrote in message

I averaged about 30mpg (US) when I rented a Focus sedan last year in Canada, with varied driving (city, country, highway @ 75mpg).
Over here my diesel wagon is averaging 43mpg (US) in all-around use, but that's a completely different animal!
Just one more average for you. Over 29000 Km my average is 26 MPG US. That is for a 2004 5 speed wagon and is likely 50% local driving.

With this quite moderate speed 7.8 l/100km (30 mpg) should be possible depending on the engine. Automatic always adds up a little bit fuel consumption. Despite the already mentioned basic things a quite often overlooked fact is tire air-pressure which has a big impact on fuel consumption and needs to be checked and corrected regular. Usually it's safe too add at least 0.2 bar or more to the manual advertised values. Those are a compromise mostly aimed at comfort.