Focus...how much noise when cruising at high speed?

when travelling at say 85mph...is the wind/engine/tyre noise obtrusive or is it not too bad?

i'm assuming the 1.8 is quieter than the 1.6 engine?

Does the ghia model have more sound insulation or are all the models the same?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Robert Smith

In message , Robert Smith writes

There's a little wind noise and tyre noise is dependant on brand.

The 1.6 is quieter. This is because its a generation ahead of the 1.8 and 2.0 models. It was designed by Yamaha and is all alloy construction as opposed to the older 1.8 which has an iron block and alloy head.

Not as such. Nobody has yet figured out how Ford decided which model got what insulation. My early 1.6 LX has got underbonnet insulation but later cars may or may not have it. It seems a bit hit and miss.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It's noiser than my Vauxhall Omega I had before, but it isn't unacceptably loud in my opinion.

The 1.8 revs lower for any given speed since it has larger wheels (15" instead of 14") but is an older iron block design. The 1.6 sounds smoother. I have the 1.8 for the extra oomph!

Alex

Reply to
Alex Harrington

In message , Alex Harrington writes

The wheel size is related to the model (i.e CL, LX, zetec) rather than engine size.

Those with 15" wheels will have lower profile tyres which means that the overall diameter is the same as those with 14" wheels.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

At 85mph, which I've only ever experienced on the track of course ;-) , I'd describe noise as OK, but it aint no Merc. You will need to raise your voice to speak to rear passengers.

My experience is that the Ghia (petrol) is quieter than the Zetec (diesel), for both wind and tyre noise - same wheels BTW. Oddly the diesel engine seems quieter at speed, perhaps due to revving lower.

Neither Focus is as quiet as my old (96) Mondeo was. Focus wouldn't be my first choice for a lot of MWay driving.

Reply to
Monkeys

At 85-90mph yes the 1.6 is moderately quieter than the 1.8 due to the slightly higher gearing, and being a more modern power unit.

My 1.8 Zetec 2000 doesnt have any underbonnet sound insulation- it was abit hit and miss as Paul says. But I think the Ghia models are fitted with more insulation and run on higher profile tyres (if on steel wheels) which generate less road noise which is going to be the noise factor rather than the engine.

90mph indicated in the 1.8 is around 3900rpm and normal coonversation is easy. Any speed where the engine is over 4000rpm is when engine noise is louder then road noise.

There is also a Volvo S70 2.5 in the family which crusies at 90+ in almost silence though, so maybe you really want a larger (perhaps more prestege) saloon if quietness at high speed is the priority.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Rolling radius for both 14 and 15inch wheels is the same as the 15inchers run lower profile tyres.

The final drive for the 1.6 is actually higher than the 1.8 which is why its so frustrating to get much acceloration out of the 1.6 without dropping to

3rd and getting into 5-6000rpm territory.

I have the 1.8 for the same reason- you don't need to extend it to get the same performance.

*flames from Paul (again)* ;-)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. writes

As if I would :)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

"Paul Giverin" wrote in news:eG8RFqFrmz2$EwGr@10.0.0.3...

Alloy is not per definition quiter than cast iron, quite the contrary. Modern engineering can compensate for this however, as surely would be the case here. /per

Reply to
per

In message , per writes

I wasn't saying it was quieter because it was all alloy. I was saying that it differs from the 1.8 because it was all alloy.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I'm sure you knew that, it was more of a clarification for others who didn't. /per

"Paul Giverin" skrev i meddelandet news:TjtCcaAq3H3$Ewt9@10.0.0.3...

Reply to
per