focus I - problem with 1-3 levels of ventilation

Focus 1.8 TD 2002. Unfortunatly my ventilation doesn't work at 1,2,and 3 levels, it works just at 4th level. I've changed all fuses but all seems to be good. Any sugestions ?

thx Bartosz /Poland/

Reply to
noob

Fan speed resistor pack has failed. Usually the non-replaceable thermal fuse blows. If you are used to soldering electrical components you may be able to replace just the fuse, if not then the complete pack must be changed.

Google this news group for information on how to fix it.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , noob wrote

Normal cause 1 - blown thermal fuse in the motor control module. The bottom 3 speeds are controlled by a bank of resistors with an in-line thermal fuse. The top speed just places the motor directly across the

12V. The thermal fuse is built into the motor control module.

It can be found in the behind the glove box . Flex the plastic sides of the glove box inwards with a tiny bit of force and you can swing it out of the way). The module will be found somewhere by the blower fan motor. Held in place with one screw and it has a removable electrical connection.

A couple of posters to this newsgroup have said that they purchased a new module from the dealer at around 15 $ US - or the equivalent in Euros - and they replaced it themselves.

For a picture of the module plus circuit diagram see:

The module may be black rather than blue.

If you have some electrical/electronic knowledge and tools then it will be possible to cut out the thermal fuse - leaving most of the connecting leads behind - and soldering in a new fuse. This DIY repair may save you, say, $13 , or so but maybe not worth the hassle if the module is a reasonable price from the dealer.

It is not unknown for the selector switch to fail - but this is less likely with the symptoms you describe.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Alan wrote

Web page updated to with photographs of the module location.

Reply to
Alan