Focus Pollen Filter

I replaced the pollen filter on my 2004 Focus 1.6 LX recently at 40,000 miles. I went to my local Ford dealer and asked for a new filter and sealing strip - this turned out to be a length of self-adhesive foam plastic.

When I removed the filter cover, I found the seal to be black sticky putty or mastic and not anything like the foam strip supplied with the filter which presumably now replaces the mastic but it doesn't seem to be suitable as a watertight seal and the adhesive doesn't stick very well to the plastic cover.

I was able to manipulate and re-mould the remains of the putty to re-form the seal but I don't think it will be good for long and would have preferred a bit more to ensure a good seal against the glass.

It should be possible to buy suitable sealing material to fit in a cartridge gun but I can only find silicone sealants which sets and doesn't stay sticky. Can anyone suggest a suitable commercial product obtainable from builder's suppliers or DIY stores?

Reply to
Wealright

A bead of Silicone is what I use, and it works very well. Peels off easily for the next pollen filter change too. You will find replacement yearly or

18months will lead to less steamy windows problems .

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 11:53:42 GMT, "Wealright" wrote Re Focus Pollen Filter:

In the U.S. we have something called "Plumbers Putty" that should work. It's very inexpensive and non-hardening. It's the consistency of soft modeling clay.

Reply to
Vic Dura

I tried to buy the "proper stuff" at my local dealer. The parts guy said that it was only available to them on huge rolls. He then very kindly nipped round to the workshop and grabbed me enough to last the life of the vehicle!

I thought it might help if I described it. It is a 3mm dia bead of black sealant carried on a waxed paper backing. I have looked in the past to see if it is generally available, but with no luck.

Let us know if you find a source,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for that - I see that Screwfix have some black silicone so will get some and give it a try - I was concerned about it gunging up the plastic and glass and being difficult to remove. I will also try Vic Dura's suggestion of using plumbers putty. I have a tub of "Plumbers Mait" mastic left over from installing a bathroom - it is a sort of sandy colour but I guess a spot of black paint will fix that. It's a bit cold outside now and the plastic will be brittle so will wait till it is warmer. On that subject, when removing the cover, I found the centre fixing clip came away too easily - turns out some clumsy fitter had snapped the plastic around the base of the clip and bodged it together with some of the black sealing goo. I made a repair by screwing in a small self tapping screw horizontally into the thick part of the plastic housing, tying the clip to the screw with some thin copper wire and sticking the whole thing together with solder and quick-set epoxy - it still seems to be holding OK. Any tips for removing the cover without risking snapping the plastic? Wealright

Reply to
Wealright

UK equivalent is called plumbers mait.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I believe the original is butyl rubber mastic. A glazier working with cars should have it. /per

Reply to
per