Focus recomendation UK

I am looking to buy a used Focus diesel 3/5d hatch between 1 and 4 years old in the UK. What model should I buy for reliability and economy and what
model should I NOT buy. Are there any specific points I need to watch out for when viewing the vehicle?
Thanks
I drive the 1.8 TDCi (52 plate) and am more than happy with it. I picked it up for just under 7000, with Ghia trim, leather etc... I get between 40 and 50mpg depending on how I drive it - I tend to accelerate pretty hard, and commute an hour each day in traffic. My previous car - Renault Laguna 2.0 petrol - I was getting about 20mpg on the same commute.
I wouldn't get a TD from what I've heard - the TDCi is supposedly a far more refined engine, and the 1.8 kicks out 115bhp.
I'd just check for the usual stuff - service history etc. One thing to look for is damp footwells in the front - can mean a poorly sealed windscreen.
If you don't want economy, buy a 2.0 petrol - again, I saw a beautiful Ghia 2.0l petrol for about 7000 at a Ford Dealer, and would have snapped off his hand had I not got to drive 300 miles a week!
Alt Beer wrote:

Stu wrote:

Dampness in the footwells is more usually caused by a poorly fitted pollen filter cover.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

The pollen filter cover forms part of the bottom windscreen seal. If the passenger footwell is wet then the most likely cause is that the cover hasn't been fitted back correctly.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

Oh dear i got a dec 02 1.8 td estate, ex lease full s/history for 1300 from the auction with 63000 miles on the clock the only down side was it only had one key. some of the ex lease cars can be crackers and they do get serviced .You see the dealers buying them then putting a load of s on the selling price. Frank
Me wrote:

SORRY i made a typo i paid 2300. frank