Focus Remote Fob replacement

Hi there (first time poster)

Got a Ford Focus LX 1.6 (UK model), first registered in 2000. The remote fob is basically refusing to work properly and needs replacing (before you ask, I have tried replacing the battery and reprogramming it. It worked for a bit, then played up again).

I've been looking at some of the ones on Ebay as I don't really want to be paying over £50 to get one from my local ford dealer, however I understand that not all fobs work in all models of Focus.

Some sellers claim there fob will work in the Focus models made prior to the

2005, but the part numbers are differant to mine. Mines 98AG15K601AB, but some sellers claim that if the part numbers end in AB AC or AD they should still work. However, others don't.

So, do I need to buy a fob with an exact matching part number, or will the other codes work?

TIA

Reply to
Simon T

In message , Simon T wrote

The programming instructions in the manual are about matching the key to the engine immobiliser / door locks. The key sometimes loses range and the frequency needs to be reset by a different method.

On my UK 2001 model - and I may not have remembered this correctly - get in the car - put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position (but don't start the car) - press the lock button on the remote three times within 30 seconds - turn off ignition - remove key.

Perhaps someone else can confirm the procedure.

Reply to
Alan

The procedure I have seen here is as follows:

Close doors. Turn ignition from 0 to II four times in less than six seconds. The door open chime will sound once. Press any fob button once. Turn ignition off. Programming is complete.

This didn't fix the problem when my fob failed. However, below is an extract from a post I made over a year ago:

"I had exactly the same problem as you with my '99 LX. After the above procedure, the remote function of the key still didn't work, so I assumed the key was broken.

I needed a CR2032 battery for a remote door bell, so robbed the one from my key fob. Some weeks later I was scrapping a computer motherboard and realised it had the same battery; I put the battery in my keyfob on a whim.

Lo and behold! The remote function now works! Don't ask for an explanation; I don't have one.

That was over a year ago; it still works fine. If all else fails I would try leaving the battery out for progressively longer periods of time.

BTW, all the above information has been posted in this NG a number of times, and could have been found using the search function in Google Groups. This might save you time in the future."

It's still working now, nearly three years later, still using the battery from a scrap PC motherboard.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thank you for that, as mentioned in my original post I had already tried the programming method you mentioned (iI'll try leaving the battery out next).

However the question I originally asked, which I couldn't find on google, was about the part code numbers on the remote fob. Do they have to match exactly, or will any similar code ending in AB, AC or AD work on Focus's made before 2000?

Reply to
Simon T

I don't think you'll get any definitely answer. It's easy enough to find fobs with specific part codes on eBay.

David Hearn

Well, I did as you suggested and tried leaving the battery out for a couple of nights, and having put it back in, it now appears to be working again.

Only been using it for a day and half, but so far so good.

Seems strange that something as simple as leaving the battery out for a time would get it working again. I wonder if there's some chip or processor in the fob that becomes unstable and needs resetting after a time?

Anyway, its still early days yet I'll see if it still works tomorow

:-)

Reply to
Simon T