Focus Strange Sound

Hi. I was wondering as to whether anyone on this NG could help in identifying a noise that has developed on my 99 Focus Ghia. The noise is a single knock sound when taking a left hand corner and appears
to come from the front offside. This has become more prevalent over the last few weeks and sometimes can be heard when pulling away from the kerbside. Has anyone else experienced this noise or know its likely cause. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Len.

It sounds like the offside outer universal joint has gone. What mileage has your car done?
--
Paul Giverin
Paul. Despite its age it has only done 26,000 miles. Somebody suggested it could be the Anti roll bar link arm on the offside. Regards. Len.

appears
be

That is a common problem and I've changed both of mine but they will knock constantly over uneven surfaces at low speed. They won't knock just when turning in one direction. The nearside one will usually fail first.
--
Paul Giverin
Thanks Paul. I will investigate further. Best regards. Len.

If it was sway bar link you would hear it on bumps whether turning or straight on. Ron
writes

identifying
can
writes

appears
A bad CV joint would not produce a single knock, but a series of knocks. A wheel bearing with too much play could give single knocks. And check the wheel bolts while you're at it. /per

appears
be
Sounds like a front universal or CV joint to me. A quick inspection on a hoist will determine that. Not cheap but not hugely expensive either. If it's rapidly getting worse as you say it will demand replacement soon (otherwise it will become deafening and eventually leave you stranded).
Dave. thanks for your help. Best regards. Len.
wrote