Focus TDCi problemette.

Last night I arrived home after a 35 mile drive home in my Focus 2.0 TDCi. I had a quick bite to eat and went back out again. When I started the engine, it sounded a bit rough and I noticed it was idling low (600rpm as opposed to the normal 800rpm). I gave it a dab of throttle but nothing happened. It was like the throttle cable had snapped. The throttle could be pressed to the floor and the revs stayed at 600rpm.

I had a look under the bonnet and couldn't even figure out where the cable went. The car is fairly new to me and I haven't had time to figure out where everything is. I know that the engine is a PSA unit.

I stopped the engine and re-started it and it was fine. It was fine again this morning. Anyone have any idea why it wouldn't respond to the throttle last night?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The Focus diesels are drive-by-wire, using an electronic rather than mechanical connection between the accelerator and the injection pump.

Reply to
Mike Quin

Are there any stored DTC codes? Many of them can be read through the instrument cluster. There's instructions at

Andy

Reply to
Andy Tucker

It is highly likely that the EGR valve is on the way out. This is a well known 2.0TDCi problem and should get fixed under warranty. The valves have been re-designed and there is a PCM software upgrade to go with the new style valve.

Error codes should be stored in the PCM but these are not visible via the dash display as others have suggested. If your dealer claims that the codes are not present then say that if he contacts ford, they should be able to confirm that there are situations where the valve is faulty and yet there are no codes stored. The official action under these circumstances is to remove the old valve and examine it for deposits and clean/change it accordingly.

Good luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Bob Minchin writes

Thanks Bob. Could you explain to me how a faulty EGR valve would disconnect the electronic throttle?

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks Mike. I had suspected that an electronic throttle was used (because I couldn't find a mechanical one) but my experience of Ford diesels stops with the old Endura lump in the Mk1 & Mk2 Mondeo.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks Bob. Could you explain to me how a faulty EGR valve would

It does not BUT a failing EGR is well documented to give the symptoms you describe, ie the engine will tick over but not speed up enough to drive it. Basically all the exhaust gasses are being fed into the air intake and the engine is choking on its own waste. If you have other reason to suspect the throttle directly then persue that avenue but if not, I suggest you consider the EGR too

I have read that there is a 'limp home mode' that covers a failed electronic throttle. I think you drive it via the brake pedal. The car is supposed to accelerate very slowly with your foot off the brake and slow down when you gently touch the brake and obviously stop properly with standard brake pressure. I can't recall where I read this but it could well have been FFOC which is generally a well informed forum thanks to a few Ford Technicians who give advice there.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin